What's new

RT-N66U 2.4ghz slow in AP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Daybreak

Regular Contributor
Howdy,
RT-N66U B1 set as AP mode.
The 2.4Ghz band has been slow when compared to the 5Ghz band.

Have gone through all variations here.
firmware 108, 112, RM7, RM8, RM9, and 144, and have cleared NVRAM before and after flashing, restore defaults via button, and from within webgui
tried channels 1, 6, 11
bgn, bg, n only
20mhz, 20/40mhz, 40mhz
WPA2-personal encryption, and tried open

rural area, there is no interference for miles
HP note book Intel 4965AGN (both bands)still slow on other 2.4ghz units (asus tablet, smartphones, samsung notebook)
speedtest results
2.4ghz 15ms ping, .68mb/s down, 2.04mb/s up
5ghz 15ms ping, 10.08mb/s down, 2.06mb/s up

I have connected all things through the 5ghz band since it works quickly. The smartphones and a asus tablet only connect via 2.4ghz

This is not a problem with other routers set as AP mode here
(sapido rb-1732, dlink dir-855, trendnet tew-691gr)

I am open to ideas, The only thing I have not tried, is swapping this unit for my other RT-N66U which is acting as router. Which is not having this slowness on the 2.4ghz band. Maybe a bum unit on the 2.4ghz

Last edited:
Howdy,
RT-N66U B1 set as AP mode.
The 2.4Ghz band has been slow when compared to the 5Ghz band.
I am open to ideas, The only thing I have not tried, is swapping this unit for my other RT-N66U which is acting as router. Which is not having this slowness on the 2.4ghz band. Maybe a bum unit on the 2.4ghz

I suspect that swapping the routers will be a big hassle, but from what you have written above, that's what I'd do *sigh*.