What's new

Thecus 5500 - ZFS vs EXT3/RAID5

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

random_builder

New Around Here
So I've decided on a Thecus n5500 as my next NAS - My next decision is whether to use ZFS. I've done some research on ZFS and it seems excellent, feature wise.

The only thin I'm worried about is its implementation on the Thecus. Mainly, I'm concerned with reliablity. Technically, it should have less corrupted data than RAID 5, but are there any glitches that would cause problems? Speed hits? Incompatibilities? Googling doesn't provide much info, since this is a fairly new NAS and I guess not a lot of people go for ZFS.

Any information would be good.

hi,

Had a quick look at the Thecus n5500. From what i can tell you dont get root access, and from that you would not have full control over ZFS. So thats going to get complicated, complicated and ZFS, equal lost data.

You need to find out if you can run the following commands.
zpool clear
zpool online

If those commands are unavalible, avoid ZFS on the Thecus n5500, it will only lead to pain and suffering!

Side note, the Thecus n5500 is a bit expencive. You could build a box yourself with a few TB of storage for the price of the n5500 without drives. You could also use any ZFS operating system you likedon a DIY box.

B.

Thanks for the reply,

I've actually come to that conclusion myself. I can build a NAS for myself, with ZFS, thats faster than the 5500 and it'd be 30-40% cheaper. So thats the option I'll be going for. I'll be researching parts now :)

If it can boot from USB?

You can boot from CDROM on another machine and install eon to USB. Then use the USB key to try and boot thecus.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!