What's new

Thecus N7700 Unleashed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NICE! Interesting i think this is not based on Linux at all. ( FreeBSD ?? ) Since it has support for ZFS.

Having seen how filesystem and software is the main bottleneck for transfer speed. I can wait to see how ZFS will fare. Since it has much better throughput, security and error correction.

I hope Smallnetbuilder will test this out soon.

After looking at the pricing. It gets a real funny reason.

Why would i spend 1099 on an NAS that has 5 times worst Performance / Value Ratio to a Self Build Computer?

The Size is no longer tiny for NAS. It has a 300W power supply.

Doesn't the more HDD space and more expensive for the NAS gets the less value the NAS holds?

My exact thougt. If NAS's start using some serious power (and start costing some serious dough - out of the league of most regular users anyway), what advantage is left over simply configuring a pc with a bunch of disks in it running Clarkconnect or similar? Not the speed. The footprint maybe? Bwoh... Easy of configuring? Not really.

In other words, devices like these at these prices might end up killing their own market.

Exactly. I can understand that adding more port doesn't add more cost. ( I think it is relatively small ) but they could charge a lot more at the current scale.

However i think they should go for the other way, where the more HDD slot inside NAS, the cheaper price / HDD slot it should be. This way customer will want to buy bigger one. Instead of the current INSANE price for NAS.

However i think they should go for the other way, where the more HDD slot inside NAS, the cheaper price / HDD slot it should be. This way customer will want to buy bigger one. Instead of the current INSANE price for NAS.
That approach makes no economic sense since it costs more to add more SATA support.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!