What's new

Three Stream N for HD Streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaveMcLain

Regular Contributor
This was a very interesting article and it got me thinking and wondering if it would be possible for the manufacturers to simply develop a firmware with an HD streaming mode? A built in buffering that could be user configured to make HD streaming at 1080p via wireless work much better could be slick. Is this possible because it doesn't seem that it would take all that much to really smooth out the data rate.

Are you referring to buffering in the players or routers?
I don't know why players aren't smarter about buffering, either.

In the players or especially in the network adapter/bridge component. Doesn't it seem like that would be pretty easy? I guess more buffering in the router could also be helpful in that it could smooth out the peaks in the HD data stream to some degree.

The correct place for buffering is in the player. Improvements in the transport mechanism (wireless) would be focused on lowering bit error rate (and therefore retransmissions). This would also reduce throughput variation.

I wonder if now may be good time to revisit this article. I can successfully stream blurays (some that can easily spike above 50 megabits) without issue.

Plus, this is with a 2 stream router( ASUS 56u with modified firmware) an 2 stream bridge with the Dlink DAP1522 instead of 3 stream devices tested in this article. Both configured to use 5 Ghz. On network file copies I can reach 10.2 MB/s of sustained bandwidth. I should point out I'm using NFS to share to my popcorn hour media player which may be helping but all the same I think this proves ( at least for some people) that wireless can be a viable option for streaming high quality video

I wonder if now may be good time to revisit this article. I can successfully stream blurays (some that can easily spike above 50 megabits) without issue.

Plus, this is with a 2 stream router( ASUS 56u with modified firmware) an 2 stream bridge with the Dlink DAP1522 instead of 3 stream devices tested in this article. Both configured to use 5 Ghz. On network file copies I can reach 10.2 MB/s of sustained bandwidth. I should point out I'm using NFS to share to my popcorn hour media player which may be helping but all the same I think this proves ( at least for some people) that wireless can be a viable option for streaming high quality video

I think it can be done, especially when distances are short and the right equipment is in place. That said, as a rule of thumb I'd stick by Wireless and HD streaming are not highly compatible.

There are other factors also, buffering in the player, the bit density of the HD video, the codec and alike.

All have to jive to get seamless HD video over wireless, which isn't the case with a wired connection.

If you have to use wireless and HD, consider, if possible, copying the media file to the local disk first.....

I think it can be done, especially when distances are short and the right equipment is in place. That said, as a rule of thumb I'd stick by Wireless and HD streaming are not highly compatible.

There are other factors also, buffering in the player, the bit density of the HD video, the codec and alike.

All have to jive to get seamless HD video over wireless, which isn't the case with a wired connection.

If you have to use wireless and HD, consider, if possible, copying the media file to the local disk first.....

Yeah, I know everyone's environment is different and this has an immediate impact on the results you'll see from wireless and powerline adapters but I'd like to see some updated tests if possible. I'm pretty sure my setup isn't average. (signal only needs to go about 20 feet through a couples walls/bathroom) but I find as better routers/bridges are being released and reviewed on this site we are starting to seem much better results for HD streaming. However, as you pointed out results may vary with wireless whereas with a direct cable connection this is a non-issue

Hopefully Tim gives this a shot with some updated hardware

Might be a little late for me to get on this but you can get 1080p streaming over WiFi to be smooth without the buffering. Start out with a better router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!