What's new

Ubiquiti Users -- questions for you

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
I have an Edgerouter X (running 1.10.5), 2 APS, and a Unifi Switch 24.

My questions are these.

1) How do I go about assigning my DHCP range of all devices on my network to 192.168.99.100 - 192.168.99.254 ? Is this done on the router or my switch?

2) How do I go about changing my gateway/subnet to 192.168.99.1/24? It is currently 192.168.1.1

3) If I make those changes in 1 and 2, will I have to provision my AP's and switch again if they are on the default 192.168.1.1 network currently, and will my controller still work on my computer here? Or will things go hay wire because of a new ip range?

4) I have a few devices in my house (Xbox, Synology NAS) that I would like to be static on my network so I can find them easily. Other devices (thermostats, ipads, phones, etc) can all be DHCP as I don't care about those being static. I recall on my ASUS router I could static assign devices based on their mac addresses? Is this the prefered way? If so, how do I go about accomplishing this?

5) If I want to use Googles DNS server instead of comcast, is that done somewhere on the edgerouter GUI? Or do I have to manually put it on my individual devices?

All those things are done on the Edgerouter and is probably easier using CLI. I recommend doing a Google search with Edgerouter in your search and you should find posts about how it’s done.

Unfortunately there’s no documentation available for EdgeOS that Ubiquiti maintains. I changed my DNS recently on the ER-X using CLI because the GUI still kept the ISP DNS in rotatation and I don’t think there was a way to set IPv6 DNS with the GUI

1 & 2: do it on the router and can be done through GUI
3: if any devices including AP on your network is hardcoded to .1.1/24 in some way, you need to change them. Otherwise, everything will take effect once you finish configuration on Edgerouter.

So avoid 1,2 &3 if only for cosmetic reason.

4: can do through GUI. Services > DHCP Server

5: can do through GUI. System > Name server. Change that to Google.

Try ubnt forum, you may get more detailed help. Also search first. I believe similar questions have been answered many times.

1.) Done on router
2.) Done on router
3.) Depends if the switch is using DHCP or static IP. Also depends if you are using Layer2 or Layer3 adoption. If you did Layer2, the broadcasts should handle the IP changes and let the APs find the controller again. "Should" is the key word here.
4.) That is a DHCP reservation and is done within the router.
5.) Done on router...although keep in mind some embedded devices will use what their firmware wants to use. If you want to enforce a specific server, you may have to do some firewall trickery.

I can't give any details on the router since that is not a line I know much about.

"Edgerouter" is not part of the Unifi series from Ubiquiti ..
It will therefore not enter the Unifi Controller concept.

If you want a seamless system, you must stick to Unifi USG Security Gateway (USG) or UniFi Security Gateway Pro 4 (USG-Pro-4)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Changing the underlining IP network addresses in any network is not a simple task must be planned for. I like to use a white board. Your system will break as you change over. If you have it planned out well it will work when you finish.

"Edgerouter" is not part of the Unifi series from Ubiquiti ..
It will therefore not enter the Unifi Controller concept.

If you want a seamless system, you must stick to Unifi USG Security Gateway (USG) or UniFi Security Gateway Pro 4 (USG-Pro-4)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
The hardware for the USG and one of the edgerouters are the same, just running different firmware. You cant just install the firmware either as its registered so you need the license/key for it.
It would be good if ubiquiti would include their edgerouters into their controller software even if you need to buy hardware for it. But the USG is marketed to small businesses that dont have fast internet speeds and a tac team.

Edgemax and a couple of other product lines can be managed by UNMS: https://unms.com/ - there was talk of incorporating Unifi SDN into UNMS, but not sure how that is moving along, if at all.

There is an extensive video series on Crosstalk Solutions, that covers Ubiquiti routing and switching, which is a good primer for those wanting to learn more about Ubiquiti router configuration, which also includes some network theory:

Great tutorials!
One of the reasons why I am over to EdgeMax router ER-6P.
Great fun to play and learn at the same time :)

I think the tutorial videos are excellent. I watched part1 and part 4 on VLANs. These are good starter tutorials. If you want to learn about networking these are worthwhile. They give you the basic meat of what is going on. I am a Cisco guy but I could follow them well even though the GUI is different.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!