What's new

"Upgrade" from Asus AC86U to AX86S?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ct1615

Regular Contributor
Currently running my Asus AC86U w/ Merlin in a 1900sq foot ranch. The router covers the property, my basement (also 1900sq ft) and my yard with ease. No problems with the router other than the 2.4ghz channel seems to go out every six months or so, I just re-boot the router and works fine. This just started happening last year. My ISP provides 500Mbps up and down and we hardly push the router in terms of bandwidth. Kids stream youtube, wife serfs the web. At most we have six mobile clients going at once.

Is there a benefit to upgrading? If so, what would it be? Much appreciate any feedback.

Currently running my Asus AC86U w/ Merlin in a 1900sq foot ranch. The router covers the property, my basement (also 1900sq ft) and my yard with ease. No problems with the router other than the 2.4ghz channel seems to go out every six months or so, I just re-boot the router and works fine. This just started happening last year. My ISP provides 500Mbps up and down and we hardly push the router in terms of bandwidth. Kids stream youtube, wife serfs the web. At most we have six mobile clients going at once.

Is there a benefit to upgrading? If so, what would it be? Much appreciate any feedback.
The problem with the AC86 for many people is its reliability. It was a big disappointment for many people who started with an ASUS N66 and then upgraded to the AC68 both of which were rock solid. If your AC86 is already suffering problems better to move on now and not wait for the AC86 to fail. If you want to wait for what seems inevitable just be sure you have a spare router to put into service to cover until you can get a replacement for the AC86.

While people are morning the end of support for the AC68 just announced not many people complaining about the AC86 being EOL.