What's new

Upgraded RT-AC68P to newest firmware... now everything super slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomgru

Occasional Visitor
I just upgraded to 3.0.0.4.380_1842 from a firmware several versions back (3.0.0.4.378_4585) and now my entire network seems to have come to a crawl, and trying to access the Asus utility through both IE and Chrome is a nightmare... VERY slow, cuts out consistently.

Any advice here greatly appreciated.

should i reboot a couple of times after an upgrade like this. or just go back to an earlier version of the firmware. As i typed this, i clicked on the LAN tab to check my static IP address settings... and it's just hanging their trying to load the page.

I just upgraded to 3.0.0.4.380_1842 from a firmware several versions back (3.0.0.4.378_4585) and now my entire network seems to have come to a crawl, and trying to access the Asus utility through both IE and Chrome is a nightmare... VERY slow, cuts out consistently.

Any advice here greatly appreciated.

should i reboot a couple of times after an upgrade like this. or just go back to an earlier version of the firmware. As i typed this, i clicked on the LAN tab to check my static IP address settings... and it's just hanging their trying to load the page.

Reset router to factory default and reconfigure..

Reset router to factory default and reconfigure..

Thanks. I was painfully able to reload the old firmware, and am at least back to where I started. is there any general advice for upgrading several firmware versions at once? do one at a time, or just pick the latest?

I searched on the forum for any advice about this particular version but didn't seem anything. It's been awhile since I've been here, but I thought there was always a firmware tracking thread?

Thanks. I was painfully able to reload the old firmware, and am at least back to where I started. is there any general advice for upgrading several firmware versions at once? do one at a time, or just pick the latest?

I searched on the forum for any advice about this particular version but didn't seem anything. It's been awhile since I've been here, but I thought there was always a firmware tracking thread?

I'm pretty sure you can jump multiple versions, but typically, resetting the router to factory default is required, so that any new drivers can correctly load. It also removes any artifacts from the previous firmware, or config, that may be lingering on the router..

My rule - new firmware, reset to factory default. If you decide not to do a reset and you have issues with your router after a firmware update, at least you know where to start.

I'm pretty sure you can jump multiple versions, but typically, resetting the router to factory default is required, so that any new drivers can correctly load. It also removes any artifacts from the previous firmware, or config, that may be lingering on the router..

My rule - new firmware, reset to factory default. If you decide not to do a reset and you have issues with your router after a firmware update, at least you know where to start.

OK.. thanks. Assume that if I made a backup of my settings... I would then just restore that, yeah?

dumb question... but how do you do a factory reset?

OK.. thanks. Assume that if I made a backup of my settings... I would then just restore that, yeah?

You should only use a backed up version of a config that matches a version of firmware. Otherwise, you could be re-introducing the same problem back to the router. Best to copy / paste your important configs into a spreadsheet or / word doc or wordpad...

Best to check the manual for your router RE: factory reset. There could be an option under the admin page on your router..

Did factory reset work for anyone had that problems originally? I ended up rolling back to 1031 without trying factory reset.

I noticed that both my DHCP Reservations and QOS Bandwidth Monitor weren't rendering on 1842, which means that it probably corrupted that data in nvram(???)

I've been dealing with severe problems since running the .1842 FW upgrade on 5/4/16

1) 3 hours after the upgrade and reboot, the router went completely stupid.
2) took 5 attempts to run the rescue process
3) after the 5th and finally successful attempt, it came back to life.
4) the next morning, I went in to reset MAC/IP bindings that I use which are the only settings I futz with, and I can't login using my password, or even the default. After ASUS told me how to force a reset by actually doing it twice, I was able to get back in.
5) later that day, I went in to do 2 more bindings, I find myself locked out again.
6) ASUS indicated that my comple password might be the problem, "4 lower case letters 4 digits", sorry that isn't complex, they told me to use a 10 digit number.

So, I then asked them if they could figure out the original FW version as I was willing to put it back to 'original', it worked fine for three months.

1st response: use .1031, the latest fw, I asked them why they referred to it as the latest when clearly .1842 is currently the latest. I also asked if .1031 is what was on it.

2nd response: use .2695 a beta firmware, I responded that I don't want to test anything, answer my original question please.

3rd response: The latest alpha firmware version is 3.0.0.4.380.1842. The previous alpha (Version 3.0.0.4.380.1031) version provided to you is not the latest one.

Now they are asking me to use a 'beta', and they are referring to the last two 'releases' as alpha.

What in the wide, wide world of sports is going on here?

RT-AC68U wifi was broken in all the 3.0.0.3.380.1xxx releases. That's why you'll ideally want to move to the 2695 beta, or go back to something much older (which I do not recommend).

General feedback for 2695 has been quite positive.

I wonder OP had a specific reason to update f/w or just because there is newer one? Remind of old saying, "Don't try to fix it when it ain't broke"

I can also confirm .2695 has been running well since I installed it last month on all three of my RT-ac68p routers.

Last edited:
I am a firm believer in leaving a working device alone. I have a RT AC66RT that I've never updated and works fine for me.

My '68 , org version unknown, worked flawlessly for the 3 months I've had it.

In my case, I changed from a USB2.0 HD to a 3.0 and I had all kinds of issues. The 3.0 drive worked fine connecting to two computers via USB3.0 so I gave the upgrade to .1842 .

Turns out there is a physical problem with the 3.0 usb jack on the router. Another issue.

All I would like to do is get back to the original. Apparently, even with the serial number, they can not or will not tell me what the original version was.

But this may be mute, since the USB3.0 is physically flakey, I'm just going to get it replaced.

In parting, it does appear to me that ASUS's releases poorly vetted software.

I am a firm believer in leaving a working device alone. I have a RT AC66RT that I've never updated and works fine for me.

My '68 , org version unknown, worked flawlessly for the 3 months I've had it.

In my case, I changed from a USB2.0 HD to a 3.0 and I had all kinds of issues. The 3.0 drive worked fine connecting to two computers via USB3.0 so I gave the upgrade to .1842 .

Turns out there is a physical problem with the 3.0 usb jack on the router. Another issue.

All I would like to do is get back to the original. Apparently, even with the serial number, they can not or will not tell me what the original version was.

But this may be mute, since the USB3.0 is physically flakey, I'm just going to get it replaced.

In parting, it does appear to me that ASUS's releases poorly vetted software.

There is nothing in your post that would have led (me) to your conclusion using logic. :)

I think you need to learn and then learn some more. The reason firmware is updated is not because it is a make work project. It is either solving a problem (whether you happen to notice it or not) or making your device more secure.

I am pretty sure that Asus has no reason to keep track of which router was sold with which 'original' firmware. You have now learned that you need to track it down and save it safely, right when you buy your next router.

Hope your opinion of Asus router's firmware goes up. No other manufacturer puts as much effort for so long (for free) to ensure that at any given time, we have the best performing, most secure and most compliant router possible (even for models 1/2 a decade old or more).

I'm running .1842 with no perceivable issues. It it worth going to .2695 or should I just wait for the non-beta release? I only have a few items to setup after the post upgrade reset so not that big of a deal.

As the originator of this thread... i'm back - still running the firmware that came on my 68P.

Now that the lastest ASUS build is out of beta, and from what I can tell is running well, I'm thinking about upgrading again. I understand I can skip builds... so let me make sure I have the steps right.

1. upgrade firmware
2. perform factory reset
2.5. this will also change my passwords back to the default admin/admin, yes?
3. reload all settings manually :-( I have about 30 static IPs setup, among other settings... is this my only choice?

I'm also thinking of using Merlin's latest instead.... thoughts? Same process, right?