What's new

W11 22000 ----> 22621

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tech Junky

Part of the Furniture
So, being keen to keep things up to date I've been thinking about how to tackle moving to the 22H2 version for awhile now. I had been looking for a simple KB patch that would accomplish this rather than burning an ISO or wiping things and doing a fresh install. Well MSFT doesn't make it that simple for some reason. I recently installed the latest 22000 patch KB5021234 and had attempted the 22H2 patch KB5021255 which doesn't work with 21H2.

Somewhere along the line I had installed a different update to something else and on a reboot got no desktop / black screen but, CTRL / Shift / ESC still brought up task manager but couldn't access anything else. I went into safe mode and reversed the last "update" and got back to a functional desktop and able to access things. I went looking to see how I could upgrade the base kernel to the newest option.

Well, of course this ended up being a combo of WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup as required by Windows11InstallationAssistant.

Ran the install assistant and it downloaded an ISO from the size of the file being 3GB+ and then went through its dumb processes. Rebooted a few times and then came up and working. It took a couple more reboots though to get everything to settle down and function as before. I use a program called Explorer Patcher to fix the issue with moving the taskbar and making it more W10 in appearance and it spazzed out a bit post upgrade.

Anyway, now that it's up and running on 22621.963 after some additional patches it seems to be running cooler and smoother. There seems to be some additional performance improvements in 22 vs 21. Ran a gaming sessions for a couple of hours and normally the laptop takes a bit to cool back down but, the CPU/GPU seemed to be running a bit cooler than before on 21H2. The fans spun down faster and the system cooled back to idle fairly quickly. Looking at the task manager during the game being open appeared that both weren't working as hard with high utilization in comparison as well.

Not exactly sure what MSFT changed in the two releases to make things smoother but, it appears to be slightly better in terms of performance and properly handling ADL CPU's. Between this and the Chrome hack that just got enabled to drop RAM / Energy use this thing should be quiet and cool.

Not exactly sure what MSFT changed in the two releases to make things smoother but, it appears to be slightly better in terms of performance and properly handling ADL CPU's. Between this and the Chrome hack that just got enabled to drop RAM / Energy use this thing should be quiet and cool.

Been a lot of work under the hood on W11 with ADL - thread management and core assignment with E-Cores/P-Cores is getting better over time...

Been a lot of work under the hood on W11 with ADL - thread management and core assignment with E-Cores/P-Cores is getting better over time...
Yeah, but, shouldn't that carry across both major builds? Seems a little assignine to for a huge upgrade file rather than and incremental update to bump the version up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!