What's new

What WAN packet overhead settings should I use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Splarff

New Around Here
Hello, I have an RT-AX86U Pro using spectrum's ISP. I've been struggling with bufferbloat and was able to get rid of it with a combination of cake QoS and limiting my bandwidth to ~200-300 up/down. I can get a max of ~1gbps up/down but if I don't limit my bandwidth this low I can't get an A+ on waveform's bufferbloat test. I play PC games with ethernet so I'm not sure that changing my WAN settings would even do anything but basically I'm trying to keep my A+ while utilizing more than 20% of the bandwidth I'm paying for. I'm an absolute beginner with this stuff and just bought my router last week so I apologize if I'm missing key information here.

Chasing after an A+ result on that particular test while losing 66% of the throughput is simply not worth it. You are slowing every thing down for the sake of something which will bear no impact on real life usage. Disable Cake, and just let the raw bandwidth take care of everything. You would need to be heavily torrenting for things to actually affect gaming performance when letting your connection just run at its full speed.

I've been struggling with bufferbloat

Perhaps not. The test is showing you worst case scenario at full line speeds. This is not how you normally use your Internet connection.

I get a B on the Barffalo test , does not bother me have not encountered any problems yet , his solution is to buy a Netgear Eero or Ubiqiti Edgerouter ? no thanks I'll live with a B rating