What's new

Solved When are passwd and shadow files created?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unsynaps

As in the title.

I am trying to edit some lines in each of these files. Specifically, the shell of the default user (passwd) and allowing to connect via SSH (shadow).
Nothing I have tried works. Even using the latest script I know of 'services-start'.

And to head it off...
I know you can ADD things to these files via other scripts but I want to EDIT existing entries.

passwd and shadow have different hashing, and both get written at the same time further up the stack, so don't write those directly...

You might be able to call busybox to do it on the command line via a shell script, but only do this for the user account which calls password, shadow should update from there...

shadow has much more than just dropbear/ssh...

As in the title.

I am trying to edit some lines in each of these files. Specifically, the shell of the default user (passwd) and allowing to connect via SSH (shadow).
Nothing I have tried works. Even using the latest script I know of 'services-start'.
To modify those files use "passwd.postconf" & "shadow.postconf" scripts.

Ahh, I remember the days when passwords were all encrypted with the same seed. Editing the password file which was writable for all, to copy your ascii encrypted password to the root user line was simplicity itself. Then you'd login as root/your user password and afterwards put theirs back in. That was UNIX mind, around 1989. A little while later I had a patch and what's now evolved into shadow passwords was born. The main network guy in charge of security had been in denial for weeks, so every time he logged in, I would greet him with a different and more personal MOTD. The patch worked, the boss scheduled a meeting, and I was fired for going against company policy of 'hacking'. This hole was present in their worldwide infrastructure, as well as many thousands more around the world.