What's new

WiFi 7 has been certified.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well at least the screen is now color and bigger than 7", as well it's basically a unix-based system now. But the operator's hands are tied a bit tighter...

Doesn't really matter what it's based on.

The fingers around my neck feel just as tight when at the controls. ;)

Until they went to X or whatever they call it, their cooperative multitasking was worse even than Windows 3. Terrible experience beyond the terrible experience!

Apple still can't multitask.

If I can't use the full resolution of the screen (without a performance penalty), if I can't use as many screens as I want (without paying for the 16" Max/Ultimate/Extreme 'pro'), and if I can't simply add more RAM to do that multitasking with, it's a dead-end system unless I rob a bank to pay for the highest configuration possible at the time of purchase (for 2 to 3 times or more what it's worth).

Apple still can't multitask.

If I can't use the full resolution of the screen (without a performance penalty), if I can't use as many screens as I want (without paying for the 16" Max/Ultimate/Extreme 'pro'), and if I can't simply add more RAM to do that multitasking with, it's a dead-end system unless I rob a bank to pay for the highest configuration possible at the time of purchase (for 2 to 3 times or more what it's worth).

that's a bit harsh :D

To be honest though, I have no issues with multi-tasking, MacOS isn't any different there than Windows or Linux - the ugly days of MacOS Classic (Pre-OSX) are long past for production use - one can tinker in Emulators I suppose...

Granted that RAM and Storage is buy up front, as this has been the case for some time now... and it's spendy compared to others - get a couple of TB of SSD, and you'll pay handsomely for it.

One of the only issues I have with current Macs running their Silicon is that one cannot run an eGPU - Intel Macs could, and this had benefits in many ways, not just more screens attached...

Getting the thread back on track - I would expect WiFi7 support in the next iPhone release this fall perhaps - and then next releases for Macs on the M4 chips...

Even there - it'll be the essential subset of WiFi7 functionality, which is typical for Apple on their WiFi implementations - going for the best interoperability as compared to doing everything in the spec - follows what they did for earlier generations with WiFi5, WiFi6 - it's not out of being lazy or cheap, IMHO - it is more about keeping the best experience no matter what network the device would attach to and connect.

No, it's the truth, even if it's harsh.

IMHO, 100% lazy, cheap, and not connected with the wants/needs of all users. Not just Apple's 'idealized' user (blindfolded, duct taped, and robot-like acceptance of Apple's follies.

As to the next iPhone supporting WiFi 7, sure, that makes sense. Little else does in Appleland.

IMHO, 100% lazy, cheap, and not connected with the wants/needs of all users. Not just Apple's 'idealized' user (blindfolded, duct taped, and robot-like acceptance of Apple's follies.

I have friends over in Cupertino, and they're committed to doing right by their customers...

I don't they they lose any sleep over your wants - they focus on their customers' needs...

I do keep an eye on what features they support in their devices, as those generally have the most benefit - even now, these days, they don't do things like MU-MIMO on the uplink/downlink or OFDMA - mostly because they can't control what AP's they might have to attach to.

At the same time - WPA3, no problem - 802.11 k/v/r - again, no problem...

Apple doesn't have the benefit of the vendor writing the drivers - they have to write the driver code for their kernel.

Anyways - it's all good - and looking forward to see what they do with WiFi7 - it should show the key benefits of 11be

Here's a sub-200 USD WiFi7 AP...

AP only - but this does suggest that Router/AP's with similar capability are close at hand...

Unless your friends are the top 1 or 2 at apple core, they don't have any say over what customers want/need.

Notice: I didn't say my needs. They fall far short of them every I've given them the benefit of the doubt and tried once more to make mac work.

I know they don't lose sleep over anyone's needs. The proof is your post and their products.

And yes, they are doing right. To their bottom line. At least until the last quarter/this year.

It's not just me that has the same wants/needs. It is over 1.6 Billion active devices for Windows vs. 100 Million devices for MacOS. That 16x disparity is there for a reason. Most people want/need machines and software that work for them, not the other way around.

Besides, if they did focus on my needs, I'd be a customer too.

That WiFi 7 AP seems interesting. Does it need the cloud to work?

Last edited:
Besides, if they did focus on my needs, I'd be a customer too.

I think this is the only point of consensus here - you have your wants/needs/thoughts - and that's ok...

I'm good if you are, and we can get back on topic...

AP only - but this does suggest that Router/AP's with similar capability are close at hand...
And also single band, so that's why it's so inexpensive. It's only meant to upgrade an existing network where you already have 2.4/5 GHz APs deployed.

Nice to see a 6-streams AP however.

This product description is so deceptive... You have to go to the specifications section to see that:

1) It's indeed three-bands, not just 6 GHz, and,
2) Only two streams per band, not 6 streams for a single 6 GHz radio.

It's still affordable. Will probably require running their controller software on a LAN device, unless buying a hardware controller.

Last edited:
I wasn't ready to quit without saying that although Apple ain't my cup of tea interface-wise it's my understanding that they do quite well with their hardware and consistency of use, and I know quite a few folks (a lot of them "professionals") who use nothing else.

I've never equated claimed desktop counts with what people would choose for use on their new computer given the chance to spend their initial EUL if/as they see fit.

At 2 streams per band, the value/performance has fallen considerably in my eyes.

Marketing. Lies in pretty fonts and glitzy (form over function) packages.

This product description is so deceptive... You have to go to the specifications section to see that:

1) It's indeed three-bands, not just 6 GHz, and,
2) Only two streams per band, not 6 streams for a single 6 GHz radio.

It's still affordable. Will probably require running their controller software on a LAN device, unless buying a hardware controller.

It's likely a qualcomm solution...

The same chipset can be repurposed from being a dedicated AP to a RouterAP with the considerations you mention, and for most folks, that's good enough...

And good enough sells boxes... but more importantly, carrying the MESH thing forward, we're going to see a lot of these kind of devices...

You can now use the Camera app to join a Wi-Fi network. Just scan a QR code with Wi-Fi details and a link will be provided that will open Settings to quickly get the new Wi-Fi profile
added and connected. As a reminder, starting with Build 25977 in the Canary Channel you can create your own QR code for Wi-Fi and share it with others. This also works for mobile hotspots too.

camera-wifi-qr.jpg

MLO needs 24H2 (Momentum 5) wich is currently in the Insider Build, if anyone would like to test the Speed :D

Unbenannt.png

MLO needs 24H2 (Momentum 5) wich is currently in the Insider Build, if anyone would like to test the Speed :D

I think in WiFi7 Wave 1 - MLO is going to be the same rope that MU-MIMO was hung with over in WiFi5, and OFDMA in WiFi6...

There's benefit to WIFi7, but MLO, IMHO, ain't it...

Source:

February 22, 2024

What’s new in Build 26063

Wi-Fi 7

Following the announcement by the Wi-Fi Alliance, Windows is adding support for Wi-Fi 7 for consumer access points with the current Insider Preview builds in the Canary and Dev Channels. Wi-Fi 7, also known as IEEE 802.11be Extremely High Throughput (EHT), is a revolutionary technology that offers unprecedented speed, reliability, and efficiency for your wireless devices.

Next Generation Wi-Fi 7 builds on the innovations of Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E to provide enhanced user experiences through upgrades in all aspects of wireless connectivity – throughput, latency, efficiency, reliability, power, etc.

Highlighting some of Wi-Fi 7 new features:

• Multi-Link operation (MLO) allows devices to use multiple bands (2.4 GHz, 5GHz, and/or 6GHz) simultaneously to avoid network congestion and maintain connectivity.
  • 320 MHz ultra-wide bandwidth in 6GHz doubles the speed to your devices and enables new possibilities for high bandwidth applications – and scenarios using such as AR/VR.
  • 4096-QAM modulation increases the data transmission by 20% and improves the quality of video streaming, video conferencing, and more.

With Wi-Fi 7, you can enjoy multi-gigabit speeds on your Windows PC and experience up to 4x faster speeds than Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E, and close to 6x faster than Wi-Fi 5. You can also enjoy significantly lower latency, which improves the responsiveness and performance of real-time activities like gaming and video conferencing. Please note that performance may vary by manufacturer and hardware device capabilities.

To take advantage of Wi-Fi 7, you will need a Wi-Fi 7 capable consumer access point and PC, which many of our ecosystem partners have launched on the market.

Below is a screenshot from your Windows PC with this build when connected to the Wi-Fi 7 consumer access point.

Wi-Fi settings showing a Windows PC connected to the Wi-Fi 7 access point.
Wi-Fi settings showing a Windows PC connected to the Wi-Fi 7 access point.

Haha! So what they're /really/ saying is they've now included vendor-supplied firmware/drivers for wifi7 hardware. Gotta hand it to MS, I guess, saw an MS timeline once where it was claimed they'd "introduced" the "mouse" (a good 15 years after a real 3-button mouse was being used...).

Yes, introducing it to their OS is correct.

As has been stated multiple times, WiFi 7 requires Windows 11 and newer. And, it is still a work in progress (i.e. not certified yet).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!