What's new

2.4Ghz Network is practically unusable on XT8 nodes, but is ok on RP-AX58 nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alirussell

New Around Here
Hi,

Ive been trying to fix this problem for a long time mainly by reading and researching other stuff, but im finally done and need some help!

I have 3 XT8 routers which I bought at my previous house and used the wireless backhaul. A year or so ago I moved and did a big renovation, so put in cat6 cables where possible, and added a couple of extra RP-AX58 nodes for certain far away areas (because I didn't need the wireless backhaul anymore, just went for the dual band option).

All of the routers are running 3004.388.7_1-gnuton1 at the moment.

The issue I have, is with the 2.4Ghz channel/SSID. Im having a lot of issues with some of my IOT devices that are using that channel, but it seems to be only occurring on the XT8 nodes/router. The clients can connect ok, and from looking at the signal/connection it's generally pretty good (-40 to -50 dBm etc), however the connection is terrible. Most of my devices just seem to not have a reliable internet connection, and are unreachable from their respective apps a lot of the time.

I have tried doing some testing, and if I use my phone/laptop and move around to each of the routers, the connection (browsing, speed test, ping etc) is fine on the RP-AX58s, but on the XT8s it is just terrible.. loads of packets timing out, speed test cannot connect reliably etc.

Ive tried various different channel/mode settings etc, doesn't seem to make a difference. Ive done network scanning using Netspot and there doesn't seem to be other 2.4ghz networks causing interference. I have some Zigbee and Thread based devices which could be adding to the congestion I suppose?

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online