What's new

2 instances simultaneously, possible ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jean-No

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have an Asus RT 86U Router with the latest Merlin firmware. My VPN (NordVPN) works perfectly.
I am looking to activate 2 VPN instances (2 different countries) simultaneously. 1 instance for 1/2 devices and the other for all the rest of my network.
Is this possible, and if so how to do it?

I tried launching VPN clients, I have both ON, but when I check my geolocation, the computer is not on the right country ...
Thank you for your help :)

Hello,

I have an Asus RT 86U Router with the latest Merlin firmware. My VPN (NordVPN) works perfectly.
I am looking to activate 2 VPN instances (2 different countries) simultaneously. 1 instance for 1/2 devices and the other for all the rest of my network.
Is this possible, and if so how to do it?

I tried launching VPN clients, I have both ON, but when I check my geolocation, the computer is not on the right country ...
Thank you for your help :)

With most VPN client providers you will need the ability to activate two or more clients each using a different port. You can not just pick a random port. Some VPN providers offer this option others don't. The port selected will also determine the level of encryption and encryption type. The ASUS routers and Merlin's firmware may not support all the available options and ports that your VPN provider offers.

Merlin's firmware, depending on the router model, can support up to five clients. I have run two cliens from PIA simultaneously using two different ports and a third VPN client from Astrill.

Clients can be routed between any of the VPN clients by using policy routing.

If you have multiple clients running and traffic on both clients your processor may become bogged down.

With most VPN client providers you will need the ability to activate two or more clients each using a different port. You can not just pick a random port. Some VPN providers offer this option others don't. The port selected will also determine the level of encryption and encryption type. The ASUS routers and Merlin's firmware may not support all the available options and ports that your VPN provider offers.

Merlin's firmware, depending on the router model, can support up to five clients. I have run two cliens from PIA simultaneously using two different ports and a third VPN client from Astrill.

Clients can be routed between any of the VPN clients by using policy routing.

If you have multiple clients running and traffic on both clients your processor may become bogged down.
I could select port 443, port 444, port 445 for any of the VPNs (except L2TP as thats L2), it does not determine the level of encryption.

The VPN server runs as a service, it'll support multiple clients at the same port at the same time even from the same IP. If you are running multiple VPN clients from the same router you're gonna need to be able to do all sorts of routing, this means using something like pfsense, mikrotik, asus with rmerlin firmware, a linux OS as they all allow custom routing in various ways, specific or generic (using load based). I should mention peplink being a very good load balancer with an easy multi WAN or multi tunnel support.

Hello,
Thank you for your answers. I admit that I did not understand everything in all these technical terms, in English in addition ...

On my RT-86U I can specify 5 OpenVPN clients; my provider NordVPN offers 6 connections with 6 appreils, so I'm wide :)

On my router, I set the VPN A client with the country A information on IP address A and port 1194. And in the "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel" section I specified Local IP of my 2 devices.

I also set the VPN client B with the country B information on IP address B and port 1194 (provider recommended port), and in the "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel" section. I specified the local IP of my other devices.

From what I understand it does not work because each time it is port 1194 which is selected?
Thank you

Hello,

I also set the VPN client B with the country B information on IP address B and port 1194 (provider recommended port), and in the "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel" section. I specified the local IP of my other devices.

From what I understand it does not work because each time it is port 1194 which is selected?
Thank you

You understand correctly. You will have to contact NordVPN support and see if they offer any additional ports and then verify that the settings that running a connection to this port are supported in your router's firmware.

With PIA they offer options for 11 Ports. The standard is Port 1198 and I have also used 1197 with different settings for encryption, Auth Hash, Root CA and CRL.

Neither Astrill or StrongVPN offer the options that make it possible to run more than one VPN client on a device. Both vendors allow you to run up to five VPN on clients on five different devices so it would not be surprising if NordVPN was the same, but contact them and find out for sure.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!