What's new

2 routers too close cancel bands? (Related to binded devices)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok so I did have universal already disabled and explicit on. Must of read it helps ac. I disabled airtime, faster speeds now. I disabled the 2.4 on the wireless repeater. So this way people connect to ap instead first. The roaming is more aggressive on 5 band so this works. I was looking at the other settings... snooping I have disabled but I've read it can help with streaming issues with apple or mirroring. Also what is protect group management key... I think that's what it's called. Does putting a device on roaming blocking list prevent it from connecting to that ap/repeater? So if I put a roku tv on that list for my repeater... it would always connect to my ap instead... even when unbinded? Finally for the 2.4 band... 20 mhz or 20/40.

Last edited:
Ok so I did have universal already disabled and explicit on. Must of read it helps ac. I disabled airtime, faster speeds now. I disabled the 2.4 on the wireless repeater. So this way people connect to ap instead first. The roaming is more aggressive on 5 band so this works. I was looking at the other settings... snooping I have disabled but I've read it can help with streaming issues with apple or mirroring. Also what is protect group management key... I think that's what it's called. Does putting a device on roaming blocking list prevent it from connecting to that ap/repeater? So if I put a roku tv on that list for my repeater... it would always connect to my ap instead... even when unbinded? Finally for the 2.4 band... 20 mhz or 20/40.

Yes 5ghz has shorter range so clients will roam more and there will be less interference/overlap. As long as the repeater is within range of the 5ghz network it needs to repeat, and your devices don't need 2.4, then disabling that is fine, preferred in fact (as long as the decreased range is ok with you). Protected management frames is not needed unless you are changing to WPA3 encryption, which your routers don't support anyway. That is a security feature and won't help with range or throughput. IGMP snooping can make multicast streaming (which only certain devices use) more efficient, using less bandwidth, but it can also cause some problems, some clients will get disconnected after a period of time. You can try and see how it works for you.

Roaming block list means the AP will not try to force the client to roam to another Aimesh node. However the client itself can still roam and connect to any node it wants. If you want to prevent a client from connecting to an AP, you need to add it to the wireless MAC filter. However I'm not sure how that works with Aimesh, if it will filter on all nodes or if it lets you choose which nodes to apply to. When running as individual APs you can block from certain ones only.

Set 2.4 to 20 only, not 20/40.