What's new

200 yr old church needs advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cotosoti

New Around Here
We have a congregation that brings in all kinds of devices. The pastor uses a Surface 2, some have iPads, some use iPhones, & at least one with an HTC cellphone (using AC I believe).

Guest network WITH QoS is #1 most important as we need to make sure our live streaming of the service has priority over anyone else (& for security they are on a guest network).

Rock solid connection and ability to cover an area 36 feet deep by 33 feet wide by 19 feet high (w/balcony) would be next most important.

The router will be up on the balcony (if that will work (although most are down below)).

Our internet speed is only 20/3. We may go up to 100/10 at some point in the distant future. People mostly make notes in Google docs or what have you. Some downloading of files takes place. I would guess we would have about 10-20 people connected at one time.

I was considering the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 or Asus RT-AC66U, or TP-Link Archer C7 but they may be overkill.

If we could spend less and meet our needs, that's what we really need.

What would you suggest?

Pic from behind pulpit (the wireless on the wall is a mic)

PCBC-Pulpit.jpg

also http://prestoncitybible.org/images/PCBC-Balcony.jpg

Last edited:
If you want AC you'll pay more for certain but I think in your case AC isn't really required is it ?

QoS and Guest network on an Asus RT-N16. I had to reboot the RT-N16 about every 4 months or so :) About 10 clients connected to it and it was problem free. I just upgraded to an Asus RT-68U. The range of the 68U, in my case, is no different than the N16 and I had to reboot the 68U after 10 days since it dropped a couple of the wireless clients.

All I can offer is that the N16 was more than great for me. Only reason I upgraded to the 68U was to get my full transfer speed with OpenVPN.

Hi,
High tech service in the church? No way, nothing like those high tech stuffs allowed during mass in my church.

If you want AC you'll pay more for certain but I think in your case AC isn't really required is it ?

I believe we have one person with a cellphone that has AC (an HTC I believe).

I had to reboot the RT-N16 about every 4 months or so :) About 10 clients connected to it and it was problem free.

Ok, that's really good news and helpful as it fits our situation.

I just upgraded to an Asus RT-68U

I just pulled the trigger a few hrs ago on an Asus RT-56U.

The thing that finally pushed me over the edge was 2 SNB articles about huge improvements to every other connection besides AC, on an AC wireless router.

Articles:
Will a new router really improve performance?

and the 2nd half:
Will a new router really improve performance? Pt 2

Last edited:
Hi,
High tech service in the church? No way, nothing like those high tech stuffs allowed during mass in my church.

And in a 200 yr old church at that! :D

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!