What's new

3.0.0.4.374.42_0 dropping connections, PC only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The N7000 is up and running. Initial impressions are very favorable. No dropped connections and no video streaming errors as before. Have not enabled QoS for video yet, either. LAN speeds are comparable. WAN speeds too. More testing ahead...

Do you have a wireless printer or other wireless device you would normally access from a wired PC?

If so, keep an eye out around the 48-hour mark of runtime for a loss of connectivity between wired and wireless devices.

No wireless printers.

I do sometimes use web.airdroid.com to do stuff with my android phone via my wired and wireless PCs. Does that count?

-kj-

First few days with the N7000 (using the stock firmware) and no more dropped connections on any devices as far as I can tell. I didn't benchmark but throughput seems about the same as the Asus, certainly no slower. Streaming video (full-screen Hulu, etc.) on the wife's crusty Vostro laptop was still an issue but enabling QoS seems to have solved that problem too. Unless something changes in the next week or so, the RT-N66U is headed to eBay and the N7000 is here to stay...

Intel Centrino Compatibility?

I noticed 2 laptops using Intel Centrino wireless cards (models: 1030 and 6205) both started having dropping problems with this newer ASUS Wireless driver. I never saw the dropping issue with the older ASUS Wireless driver. It's so bad that I can't stream YouTube videos. It will drop connections randomly but always between 3 to 20 minutes. No other devices (cell phones or PCs) have this dropping problem.

I couldn't find any answer in these SmallNetBuilder forums. I found a lot of complaints in the Intel.com forums. There's definitely some compatibility issue between the Intel Centrino and this newer ASUS Wireless driver.
I went through all the suggestions here and at the Intel forums.
There are 2 workarounds. On the PC:
1. set the wireless properties / Security / Advanced settings to use the "Enable Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) compliance for this network"
or
2. set the 802.11N to Disable in the properties of the card

Both of these workarounds drop the speed down to 802.11g speeds. I don't know why the FIPS setting does this but it does. I hate it but at least the laptops can now stream videos again. Hopefully, Intel or ASUS fixes their driver.