What's new

3 Floor appartment building need wireless help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dennis4106

New Around Here
i just recently moved into a 3 floor appartment, problem is the router has to be on the top floor for my wired desktop. and my roommate would like to do her schooling in the kitchen on the first floor. we currently have a netgear cgd24g wireless router. but it seems that it doesn't have the range to make it down that far. any suggestions?

i just recently moved into a 3 floor appartment, problem is the router has to be on the top floor for my wired desktop. and my roommate would like to do her schooling in the kitchen on the first floor. we currently have a netgear cgd24g wireless router. but it seems that it doesn't have the range to make it down that far. any suggestions?

add a WiFi access point (AP) near the weak signal area. Connect the AP to the main router by any of these means:

1. Cat5 (ethernet) cable in walls/attic
2. Home Plug pair of devices that use house power wiring in lieu of a cat5 cable. These are about $80 a pair.
3. MoCA - which does the same as above but uses TV coax in the walls.

This forum has a MoCA and Home Plug forum section.

The AP can be a re-purposed WiFi router (See forum's FAQ), or a purpose-built AP.

You could maybe do a WDS solution, although running cables is always the best. You could just set up two APs on the second floor, one as a repeater, the other as a regular AP. Then put an AP on the 1st that connects up to the repeater. This will allow the speeds at the bottom floor to be the best possible, since no other devices will be able to connect to the repeater on the 2nd floor but the AP on the 1st...make sense? lol