What's new

3 subnets?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You could have had an incompatibility between the Synology Ethernet ports and the router switch ports that caused the NICs to operate only at 100 Mbps instead of Gigabit.

Again, the routing portion of a router isn't involved in LAN to LAN transfers.

You could try the Ubiquiti. It might help.

Thanks. That's very interesting.

However in my experience all Gigabit LAN ports are not built equal.
Concerned about that too, I have a gigabit switch into which I plug most all of the LAN cat5 cables. One switch port goes to the router's LAN port. So the router's switch doesn't see any intra-LAN traffic.

I also plug most 100Bt (non-gigabit) into the router, not the switch. Most but not all.

If the router's switch is done correctly, it should be equivalent. But since switches are cheap, I prefer to go this way. I suppose that the WiFi router vendors can save $0.50 by using a crummy (cut-through mode?) switch chip and that's such a competitive market.

bad cable can cause drop to 100mbit too, remember that gbit requires cat 5E or better, plain cat5 does not have proper insulation/isolation for gigabit.

Well, considering I used the same cables between my two runs that should not have been a factor, and anyway, I had purchased a Cat 6 cable with the newest of the NASes and I did check that the other one was running on Cat 5e. I have however noticed that if a cat 5e cable is placed close to one of those poorly shielded power cords that are normal on routers then performance can be impacted. But I was very conscious of this in both trails so again it should not have been a problem.

Anyway, I have been reading the biggest thread on here about the Cisco RV220W and there seems to be quite a few complaints. However all of them seems to relate to older firmware and Cisco has even released a new firmware for it that doesn't even have release notes yet. I'm anxious to see how many bugs are still included. Unfortunately I have yet to find anything besides this Cisco and the mentioned Netgear that will provide what I need at the price I'm willing to pay. I'm seriously thinking about taking my chances with the Cisco.

well as long as you deal with a retailer with no hassle returns, if it does not work to your satisfaction, send it back.

All right. I've taken my chance on the Cisco RV220W and the Ubiquity PowerAP-N. Should be arriving in a few days. I I'm not planning on using any fancy VPN features though I see QoS is also unstable from the Cisco release notes of the latest fw. I'll report back once I have everything set up I guess.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!