What's new

[384.12_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried accessing my parents router across town from me by OVPN. The login page popped up right away when asked for, and I will admit it took two tries to get the whole network map page to load, but this issue has been around for a long time (couple years). Once into the router I can navigate through without issue.
If the target router has the setting on the system page: Redirect webui access to router.asus.com enabled, you will have a heck of a time trying to open pages on the router, if your router has this enabled.

In my case, it works for a few days. Then it doesn't. Simply disabling that setting (to 'No') allowed the VPN to work again.

The links I provided have all the details. :)

In my case, it works for a few days. Then it doesn't. Simply disabling that setting (to 'No') allowed the VPN to work again.

The links I provided have all the details. :)
Disabling the setting restarts dnsmasq, that may have been all it took to get the connection to the VPN to work. I use the same settings and have no issue connecting anytime to my parents VPN server.

Disabling the setting restarts dnsmasq, that may have been all it took to get the connection to the VPN to work. I use the same settings and have no issue connecting anytime to my parents VPN server.

But were both routers set to 'Yes' for the WAN caching? As in my case? :)

But were both routers set to 'Yes' for the WAN caching? As in my case? :)
The connection was made between a AX88U and a AC3100 the AX88U running the Alpha 1 and the AC3100 running 384.11_2.

The connection was made between a AX88U and a AC3100 the AX88U running the Alpha 1 and the AC3100 running 384.11_2.

Curious then why it works in your case and not in mine?

Curious then why it works in your case and not in mine?
Our systems are configured differently, and have different needs. I'm trying to keep things as basic as I can. I use just a couple scripts and some bonding/teaming settings and that's it for out of the ordinary settings. I do use DoT and DNSSEC and the NTP options as well the network monitor settings, all of which are just enabled in the firmware, and should co-exist with each other. I used to have network interruptions that effected my video streaming but since I changed from FreshJR_QOS to manual bandwidth with fq_codel I have zero issues and a rock solid network. I'm not saying this to slam scripts, I'm just saying that keeping things simple until it all works is a good approach, then add the extra stuff as needed. Having these scripts running without problems on an Alpha build is sort of asking for a bit of trouble. I'm not telling anyone how to test but it's hard to test with a compliment of additional stuff. I try to keep within the firmware's native or built in abilities, without scripts. That's why I only run AMTM, Skynet and Diversion, while testing Alphas.

Seems to me the caching setting on the tools settings page is default "no" because of increased compatibility, (generates less problem posts). Set it to yes if compatibility is not an issue and performance wanted. I think it's that simple. :D

I have a weird question when i have my DNS set to automatic, Wan using local set to "yes" and DoT turned on, my ISP is incerting a domain route into resolv.dnsmasq along with the regular 127.0.1.1 address.
so what i am seeing being placed in there by my isp is... server=/someISPDOMAIN/ISPDNS ,, when i switch it and use my own custom Wan DNS , this server address disappears and I only see 127.0.1.1 inside of resolv.dnsmasq,,, why do I see these servers being placed in by my ISP???

I have a weird question when i have my DNS set to automatic, Wan using local set to "yes" and DoT turned on, my ISP is incerting a domain route into resolv.dnsmasq along with the regular 127.0.1.1 address.
so what i am seeing being placed in there by my isp is... server=/someISPDOMAIN/ISPDNS ,, when i switch it and use my own custom Wan DNS , this server address disappears and I only see 127.0.1.1 inside of resolv.dnsmasq,,, why do I see these servers being placed in by my ISP???
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/blob/master/release/src/router/rc/wan.c#L2115

As I interpret the code, it's assuming that your local ISP domain hostnames can only be resolved by your ISP DNS servers, in case they do not propagate to other public DNS servers. I expect in the real-world of consumer routers and residential ISPs, none of us are trying to resolve hostnames for our neighbors' public IPs. But it's a well thought out failsafe measure, IMO.

Last edited:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/blob/master/release/src/router/rc/wan.c#L2115

As I interpret the code, it's assuming that your local ISP domain hostnames can only be resolved by your ISP DNS servers, in case they do not propagate to other public DNS servers. I expect in the real-word of consumer routers and residential ISPs, none of us are trying to resolve hostnames for our neighbors' public IPs. But it's a well thought out failsafe measure, IMO.

I believe this could be partly causing some of the hindrance caused during the boot process with having wan set to local caching as YES. i do not experience as many issues in the boot process when i define my own wan dns, because the only thing that is located inside the resolv.conf is the 127.0.1.1 with stubby.

also, there are not as many dnsmasq and stubby loops created either, but either way their maybe people with isp's that require these to be defined.

Last edited:
@RMerlin this is likely out of your control but when I enable WAG and LAG, or just LAG, the network map count of devices gets messed up. I have over 20 devices and it shows 8. When using just LAG if you click view list, it populates after you click it. With WAG enabled as well as LAG, you don't get any more devices than what the network map page shows before clicking "view list."
Edit: It would seem the only devices listed in network map are wireless, there are no cabled devices listed.
Edit: This problem follows you everywhere in the routers settings. Trying to add a device in QOS and it's not listed as it's a cabled device. This is a deal breaker as monitoring or adding devices (cabled) can no longer be done, (everything shows offline). Any dynamic list of clients is affected.

Last edited:
I just installed 384.12_alpha1-g49e6d4d687 everything seems to work except all of the scripts doing there updates.

for scmerlin i get

admin@router:/tmp/home/root# scmerlin update
scmerlin: 404 error detected - stopping update

Skynet gives

Skynet: [*] 404 Error Detected - Stopping Update

I know that this version of the software has a new version of curl, i haven't looked into why.

---
skynet does this

curl -fsL https://www.cloudflare.com/ips-v4

which works on my mac

but on the router

gives nothing just an error.

Notice that this just got fixed in the repository. Thanks merlin.

Last edited:
Hi,

On an RT-AC3200 running the Alpha 1 build, I'm getting endless lines like these in my log:

May 30 19:07:38 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe22a (44/80)
May 30 19:07:38 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe22a (44/80)
May 30 19:07:38 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe22a (44/80)
May 30 19:07:38 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0xe22a (44/80) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
May 30 19:22:40 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)
May 30 19:22:40 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)
May 30 19:22:40 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe02a (36/80)
May 30 19:22:40 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0xe02a (36/80) for reason APCS_CSTIMER

I don't remember noticing this before. Is something up?

Thanks,
Anton

I just installed 384.12_alpha1-g49e6d4d687 everything seems to work except all of the scripts doing there updates.

for scmerlin i get

admin@router:/tmp/home/root# scmerlin update
scmerlin: 404 error detected - stopping update

Skynet gives

Skynet: [*] 404 Error Detected - Stopping Update

I know that this version of the software has a new version of curl, i haven't looked into why.

---
skynet does this

which works on my mac

but on the router

gives nothing just an error.
What is all the output when you run this on the router?
Code:
nslookup raw.githubusercontent.com
What is your WAN DNS set to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!