What's new

388.7 “internet speed” missing from GUI with Wireguard VPN clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vlord

Regular Contributor
On my GT-AX6000, the internet speed menu is missing and if I fiddle around on this section of screens (going to different tabs), I can cause the router to reboot. Not sure when this got broken but it has definitely worked “at some point”. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpeg
    IMG_0291.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 86
On my GT-AX6000, the internet speed menu is missing and if I fiddle around on this section of screens (going to different tabs), I can cause the router to reboot. Not sure when this got broken but it has definitely worked “at some point”. Any ideas?

1.Try clearing your browser cache & cookies.
2.Follow up questions: Do you use amtm or entware addon's in merlin? ie: scribe, scMerlin, vnStat, AdGuardHome, MerlinAU, OpenSpeedTest (nginx on AP Pro) Yes/No (yes i see your signature just making sure this is all)
4.Have you experienced any similar issues with other websites not properly loading? examples addon's that might cause issues AdGuardHome, Skynet, Diversion.
5.Does this happen when entware isn't mounted?
6.Open your browsers inspector console leave a screenshot of your browser inspector console on the internet speed page so we can see if their is any errors, do this with entware mounted and without. They will likely be in red if their is a issue.
Screenshot 2024-06-26 001808.png

-Leave a bug report here. (Merlin doesn't have open issue reports on git)

Template:
**Router Model Affected**
Models: (eg: DSL-AX82U/RT-AX82U/...)

**Firmware Version Affected**
384.xx

**Describe the bug**
A clear and concise description of what the bug is.

**To Reproduce**
Steps to reproduce the behaviour:
1. Go to '...'
2. Click on '....'
3. Scroll down to '....'
4. See error

**Expected behaviour**
A clear and concise description of what you expected to happen.

**Screenshots**
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem or remove this section

===

optional:
-Attempt to install a fresh install of 388.7 Merlin.
-Disable or uninstall problematic addon's or entware temporarily to narrow down the issue.
-Check snbforums for past issue's which may pertain to your issue.

Last edited:
This is not a bug with the firmware but a local problem with your router:
1719412311476.png

Its there most likely local browser issue. I never use this speedtest in the router as I prefer the speedtest app.

However just clicking around in that area I also got the router to reboot so that is a separate issue.

1719412777346.png

1.Try clearing your browser cache & cookies. - Done. This is on multiple browsers and on multiple devices.
2.Follow up questions: Do you use amtm or entware addon's in merlin? ie: scribe, scMerlin, vnStat, AdGuardHome, MerlinAU, OpenSpeedTest (nginx on AP Pro) Yes/No (yes i see your signature just making sure this is all) - Correct this is all that I run.
4.Have you experienced any similar issues with other websites not properly loading? examples addon's that might cause issues AdGuardHome, Skynet, Diversion. - No other website issues
5.Does this happen when entware isn't mounted? - Not tried but I think it might be VPN related. See below
6.Open your browsers inspector console leave a screenshot of your browser inspector console on the internet speed page so we can see if their is any errors, do this with entware mounted and without. They will likely be in red if their is a issue. - Didn't see any errors
View attachment 59798

So the plot thickens a bit. When I VPN in via WireGuard through my Gl.inet MT3000, I get the missing speedtest but if I go to a local computer on the same VLAN, I see the speedtest just fine. I also just tried via openVPN and after browser refresh it worked fine. My signature has all that I'm running via amtm.

-Leave a bug report here. (Merlin doesn't have open issue reports on git)

Template:
**Router Model Affected**
Models: GT-AX6000

**Firmware Version Affected**

**Describe the bug**
When I VPN via wireguard (via GL.inet router) I do not see the speedtest within the Adaptive QOS area.

**To Reproduce**
1. Attach to your router via VPN (wireguard)
2. Click on Adaptive QOS --> InternetSpeed
3. See screenshot of missing error

**Expected behaviour**
I should see the internet speedtest section without error

**Screenshots**
See previously attached

===

optional:
-Attempt to install a fresh install of 388.7 Merlin.
-Disable or uninstall problematic addon's or entware temporarily to narrow down the issue.
-Check snbforums for past issue's which may pertain to your issue.

1719431660882.png

**To Reproduce**
1. Attach to your router via VPN (wireguard)
2. Click on Adaptive QOS --> InternetSpeed
Out of curiosity, what happens if you go directly to the Internet Speed test page without clicking on Adaptive QOS page/menu choice first. Do you still have the same problem? Example of a direct link to the Internet Speed Test on Asus-Merlin firmware:
Code:
http://<router_IP>/AdaptiveQoS_InternetSpeed.asp

If the speed test page is loading with one VPN hosted on a different device versus the VPN on the Asus router, have you compared the two VPN settings to see what is different, like DNS settings (including other pages like DNS Director or your addon-scripts). Could be using the different device's VPN is bypassing what ever it is add-on script wise or Asus router setting wise that might be interfering.

Works on 388.8 B1.
Try clearing cache and without VPN as suggested.

1719438644095.png

Out of curiosity, what happens if you go directly to the Internet Speed test page without clicking on Adaptive QOS page/menu choice first. Do you still have the same problem? Example of a direct link to the Internet Speed Test on Asus-Merlin firmware:
Code:
http://<router_IP>/AdaptiveQoS_InternetSpeed.asp
note: Tried this and made no difference.

If the speed test page is loading with one VPN hosted on a different device versus the VPN on the Asus router, have you compared the two VPN settings to see what is different, like DNS settings (including other pages like DNS Director or your addon-scripts). Could be using the different device's VPN is bypassing what ever it is add-on script wise or Asus router setting wise that might be interfering.

So I tested a completely separate client (iPad) running a different wireguard VPN profile than my Gl-iNet router and I get the same results. With openVPN on the same client I can see the internet speedtest, with wireguard VPN I can’t.

WireGuard:
1719458046654.png

OpenVPN:
1719458219671.png

Can anyone else repeat the above?

Interesting. On an AX88, it seemed to work but part of the screen is blocked out--I could scroll a few lines at a time (that little dark band on your screenshot). On an AX86U Pro, it triggered a reboot, and then worked. Not going to try again. These two are joined site to site with OpenVPN, and I'm connected via OpenVPN to one of them.

Interesting. On an AX88, it seemed to work but part of the screen is blocked out--I could scroll a few lines at a time (that little dark band on your screenshot). On an AX86U Pro, it triggered a reboot, and then worked. Not going to try again. These two are joined site to site with OpenVPN, and I'm connected via OpenVPN to one of them.
I’ve had similar experiences that clicking through the menus triggered a reboot. @Makaveli was able to trigger the same. Not sure if the bugs are related but definitely something going on with these pages.

I went ahead and repeated this test on my iPhone. Both are showing that the speed test page is unavailable. Leverage private browsing on the second test to make sure there was no caching of the page.

Wireguard:

1719520225203.png

OpenVPN:
1719520440204.png

I went ahead and repeated this test on my iPhone. Both are showing that the speed test page is unavailable. Leverage private browsing on the second test to make sure there was no caching of the page.

Wireguard:

View attachment 59832

OpenVPN:
View attachment 59833
I can confirm that I've also had this problem for a long time when I connect to the routers VPN server, or VPN to a few other family members routers. I can actually see a small sliver of the page, which is enough to run and see the test, but like the pics show, most of the view is blocked for some reason. It happens with both Open VPN and Wireguard.

Last edited:
No issues for me connecting to the WireGuard server on my 88U Pro 388.7. I was using a Chromebook and the Android WireGuard app.

No issues for me connecting to the WireGuard server on my 88U Pro 388.7. I was using a Chromebook and the Android WireGuard app.
You could see the speedtest page on your router without any issues via wireguard client?

You could see the speedtest page on your router without any issues via wireguard client?
I don't know if it helps you: I can see the speed test when I am connected to my AX88Upro with my S24Ultra via Wireguardclient over the cellular network.

I took a second look on my ipad and it seems that the frame for the speedtest is too small when I use wireguard. I don’t have this issue natively accessing the page or via OpenVPN.

1719808262462.png

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!