What's new

3TB drive on Asuswrt-Merlin??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's still yet another proprietary filesystem, which the world does not need at this time, sorry.

As per Wikipedia:

Microsoft has not released the official exFAT file system specification, and a restrictive license from Microsoft is required in order to make and distribute exFAT implementations. Microsoft also asserts patents on exFAT which make it impossible to re-implement its functionality in a compatible way without violating a large percentage of them.[13] This renders the implementation, distribution, and use of exFAT as a part of free or open-source operating systems or of commercial software, for which the vendors could not obtain a license from Microsoft, not only technically difficult, but legally impossible in countries that recognize United States software patents.

Notice that very few things actually supports exFat so far. I have yet to encounter a single device that did support it.

Hello all, I am planning on purchasing a large external hard drive to use as a network media drive. I have a 1TB WD Elements external but 1TB isn't gonna cut it I'm afraid. I am planning on using it as a data drive and purchasing a bigger drive strictly for media. Due to the prevalence of Windows computers and the fact that I will occasionally unplug the hard drive and take it with me I need it to be formatted in NTFS. I was looking at getting either the Seagate Expansion or the WD Elements 3TB

I noticed that a couple people have gotten NTFS formatted 3TB drives to work with their routers. I have the N66U. Would formatting it to MBR + 4096 sector do the trick? Also, has anyone tried a 4TB drive yet? I was thinking of purchasing the 4TB version of the Seagate Expansion since there is no 4TB version of the WD Elements. Surely the requirements would be the same? If a 3TB drive works then a 4TB version of it would also work, since they both go over the 2.2TB limit?

I like the Elements because it doesn't come with crapware or hardware encryption like some other external drives (I believe the MyBook comes to mind). That's problematic because if the enclosure fails but the drive still works you can't recover your data because it was encrypted by the enclosure. I'm hoping the Seagate Expansion doesn't do that.

Thanks for your help guys.

Well if anyone out there is still interested, I purchased the 4TB Seagate Expansion Drive. Thankfully it worked right out of the box with my N66U. MBR disk, formatted as NTFS. Still using firmware 3.0.0.4.270.24

Interestingly enough the drive also works with older XP computers using the 512 emulation that manufacturers are incorporating in their drives. Physically the drive is 512 but the enclosure reports it as 4k for both bytes per sector and bytes per physical sector to the OS.

Attachments

• 4tb-log.jpg
    4tb-log.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 490
  • 4tb.jpg
    4tb.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 483
I have a 4TB Seagate Backup Plus Drive in my N66U. It worked fine out of the box. I've also plugged it into a Windows 7 computer, fooled with it, and plugged it back into the N66U without issue.

When I fooled with it, I followed the instruction on the wiki for setting up a DLNA partition with ext3, 1 gig. That all seems to be working fine. The only anomaly is that the big partition has to be addressed by its label, not sda1, while the ext3 partition label isn't recognized, but can be reached as sda5. So, mount gives me \Seagate_Backup_Plus_Drive and \sda5.

I have 2 Seagate Backup Plus Drives, one with 3TB formatted to EXT3 and other one with 4TB formatted to NTFS. Both are connected to RT N66 running on Merlin. Both works fine with any file size. I have files more than 12 GB. For me, only different I noticed that file transfer is slightly faster and reliable with EXT3 drive.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!