What's new

4x4 2,4 Ghz increase coverage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

U can have a 2x2 antenna with good sensitivity or a 4x4 antennas with lousy sensitivity. The 2x2 can win the 4x4 anyday with a higher power design

Range and Performance is mostly dictated by the client, not the AP...

Just saying.

Different radios produce different results. From experience - U6 Pro (Qualcomm 2x2 + 4x4) works better than U6 Long Range (MediaTek 4x4 + 4x4). As specs both are very similar, as price both are very similar, LR a bit better on paper, but in reality Pro performs better including on 2.4GHz band.

Different radios produce different results. From experience - U6 Pro (Qualcomm 2x2 + 4x4) works better than U6 Long Range (MediaTek 4x4 + 4x4). As specs both are very similar, as price both are very similar, LR a bit better on paper, but in reality Pro performs better including on 2.4GHz band.

Exactly...

I'll note however that things are moving targets - Filogic830/mt76 is getting much better as a lot of really smart folks over on the OpenWRT community are stepping in...

On the Qualcomm/Atheros side - ath11k is looking really good for WiFi6 - not as free/open as mediatek, but that is what it is...

As we go deeper into WiFi7 - Qualcomm and Mediatek have the advantage over Broadcom - most of this is due to lack of investment by Avago/Broadcom and the divesture of the critical client silicon - most of the Broadcom IP for clients is now outside...

ChatGPT also doesn't know how much some companies invest in antenna array technologies development. Like CommScope with Ruckus products and BeamFlex client independent hardware beamforming resulting in weird structures like this:

1729480448536.png

Range and Performance is mostly dictated by the client, not the AP...

Just saying.
So what would U recommend if I want a good range route
ChatGPT also doesn't know how much some companies invest in antenna array technologies development. Like CommScope with Ruckus products and BeamFlex client independent hardware beamforming resulting in weird structures like this:

View attachment 62056
So what will U recommend if I want a good range and coverage router. My home is less than 2000 sqft

My home is less than 2000 sqft

I can't recommend a router based on sqft alone. If your existing RT-AC88U is good enough to cover the area perhaps a new RT-AX88U Pro or RT-BE88U will be good enough as well. In terms of software support BE-class home All-In-One router will be perhaps better. I personally wouldn't touch any of those and get a Cloud Gateway Ultra with 2x U6 Pro access points instead even if one of the APs has to be in wireless mesh. Specs speed is not everything.

Last edited: