What's new

5.0 Ghz distance network issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

howie411

Regular Contributor
So I just moved into a 3 level TH, I have a Cisco Linksys E4200 on the top floor. In the basement I have a Trendnet Tew-680MB for my Media Hub) connects to my TV, Xbox, Receiver etc.

If I connect it to the 2.4ghz signal my signal strength is 36%, my link quality is 92% and my link speed is 104 mbps.

I used to have it connected using the 5Ghz signal but that's not even showing up as an SSID anymore. I guess because of the distance.

Anyone have any suggestions to either get a stronger 2.4ghz signal or get it to pick up the 5Ghz signal.

The wireless info is as follows:

5Ghz -

network mode mixed
Channel Width (Auto 20Mhz or 40Mhz)
channel (Auto DFS)

2Ghz -

network mode mixed
Channel Width (20 Mhz Only)
channel (1 - 2.41Ghz)

of course... run cat5 cable if you can, from router to basement. Hard, but always the best.

Can router be moved to 2nd floor?

Instead of running cat5, less desirable:
If there's TV coax near router, and in basement, get a pair of MoCA devices. You can likely avoid using WiFi in the basement. Or connect TV, etc, to wired ethernet produced by the MoCA device. Optionally add a WiFi access point there in the basement for WiFi-only things.

If no TV coax, do essentially the same using a pair of Home Plug devices which move the data on the home power wiring.

See the MoCA/HomePlug forum here.

So I do actually have Network jacks installed throughout the house, attached is a picture of the cable closet in the basement, I'm not actually using it though. Can I run a cable from the router on the 3rd floor into the wall and then connect an AP to the port it comes out in the basement?

Attachments

• cablemadness.jpg
    cablemadness.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 417
So I do actually have Network jacks installed throughout the house, attached is a picture of the cable closet in the basement, I'm not actually using it though. Can I run a cable from the router on the 3rd floor into the wall and then connect an AP to the port it comes out in the basement?

yes, running that cable would be great.
But in that cable closet, are there already cables that run to the basement and another to the 3rd floor? If so you can of course patch these. Or better, put a low cost switch in the cable closet. Connect your router in via a cable to the 3rd floor, then connect other rooms to the switch.

Or vice-versa, put the router on some other floor and connect it down to the basement and switch to be distributed to other rooms.

And... there's a lot of TV coax runs from that cable closet. If need be, you can use MoCA boxes and TV coax to get to rooms that do not have cat5 cables, and avoid running cat5 if that's difficult. We Californians without basements don't have that simplification to get cable to anywhere on the first floor.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!