What's new

5ghz band not enough reach (Netgear R6220) - What router/setup do you recommend?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

"wireless" means no wires! That includes WiFi, Cellular, Police/fire radios, Citizen's Band (CB), Satellite comms, et al!!

An AP can connect to the router's LAN port via
Cat5 cable in attic, basement, walls
IP over home power lines (shaky but simple). See forum section here on HomePlug/HPNA etc
IP over existing TV coax cables. That's called MoCA. See forum section.

A no-new-wires repeater (range extender) is super simple but halves the data rate, and has to be in a place near the weak signal area AND in a place with a decent signal from the WIFi router.

If the coverage improvement is for all handhelds, speed is not so important.

Buying a more expensive router won't cure the too-weak signal in some areas problem. Laws of physics about attenuation from construction materials and distance prevail. All WiFi routers have about the same coverage at speeds that depend on the TWO-WAY signal strengths. Not just the from-router signal.

Desktop PCs should avoid WiFi in the residence... too slow.

How what works?

Because Physics...

5GHz has more propagation loss compared to 2.4GHz...

So move the AP if possible... think of 2.4 as the overall footprint, that all devices can access, and 5GHz as something where the clients are generally located day to day..

Buying a more expensive router won't cure the too-weak signal in some areas problem.
Been there, done that (not by choice). You are absolutely right!

A no-new-wires repeater (range extender) is super simple but halves the data rate ...
I had a pleasant surprise on this.

Have an old B/G range extender mounted on the window facing the building next door. Placed a laptop on the desk near the same window. Connected to the B/G/N router next door using the same SSID that the range extender connects to (B/G/N over 2.4Ghz).

28 Mbps transfer rate (to a PC on Ethernet ... to stabilize the experiment).​

Then I connected (wireless) to the B/G/N range extender (that points to the same SSID).

21 Mbps transfer rate.​

25% hit. Most pleasant surprise. (Maybe the half comes from going wireless PC to wireless PC?)
  • Just for fun I took my laptop next door and placed it two offices over from the router and connected to the same SSID again ==> 45 Mbps.
  • Then I tried N on the 5Ghz radio ==> 65 Mbps
  • So I just hadta try it over an Ethernet cable ==> 67 Mbps
I think it means that this wireless stuff ain't all that bad ...

Last edited: