What's new

5TB External HDD (AC powered) not mounting ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There's a link in one of these threads that shows the maximum size for each format size supported by AC56U stock firmwares. For NTFS I remember the limit was 4TB. If you google it, you might find it.

Interestingly this seems to be because they didn't want to get into explanations about sector size, this is very nice information to know.

A 6TB drive is fairly affordable, though a 3TB or 4TB is the best size/price as far as I can tell. Does the drives performance on the router change with the larger clusters?

I've used the drive a little bit, and I get speeds around 5 ~ 8 MB/sec ... If only the router was USB 3.0 capable, it would have been awesome ! (My files are huge!)

Hmm that seems about half the speed Tim got for NTFS on the RT-N66U (11 MB/s read, 14 MB/s write). I wonder if the larger clusters slow it down.

14 MB/s write still probably isn't good enough for filling a 5 TB drive. I suppose you are supposed to fill it on a PC and then use it as a music and video repository, slow reads for playback.

Hmm that seems about half the speed Tim got for NTFS on the RT-N66U (11 MB/s read, 14 MB/s write). I wonder if the larger clusters slow it down.

14 MB/s write still probably isn't good enough for filling a 5 TB drive. I suppose you are supposed to fill it on a PC and then use it as a music and video repository, slow reads for playback.

I just retested my 3TB USB 2.0 drive and get 6-7MB/s. Not sure USB2.0 is the limiter so much as the CPU. During file transfer, the CPU on my n16 is about 50-60%.

Anyone figure out how to do this yet? Got a WD5TB and a RT-AC66U?

I've tried formatting with larger sectors, no joy. It obvs can understand GPT if it's handling 4TB as a max sized drive. So it's not the MBR issues as stated before. What's the deal?

Hi Guys,

I have a Seagate Expansion 5 TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive connected to my Asus AC87U router running SMB on my network, prefer it due to spin down options in Merlin (currently on 380.68_4). The router shows the full 5TB drive, what I wanted to know, has anyone tried using a multi hard drive case on this router with the latest firmware? I am currently looking at a TerraMaster D5-300 instead of a NAS (I do not need the enclose running 24/7 like a NAS would do as I do not use it all the time). I understand this is an old forum and since Merlin has grown but any idea if this will have any issues?

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I have a Seagate Expansion 5 TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive connected to my Asus AC87U router running SMB on my network, prefer it due to spin down options in Merlin (currently on 380.68_4). The router shows the full 5TB drive, what I wanted to know, has anyone tried using a multi hard drive case on this router with the latest firmware? I am currently looking at a TerraMaster D5-300 instead of a NAS (I do not need the enclose running 24/7 like a NAS would do as I do not use it all the time). I understand this is an old forum and since Merlin has grown but any idea if this will have any issues?

Thanks.

I had a drobo with 5 drives installed running fine with a 16TB configuration. I ended up downgrading to a 4TB & keeping my drobo on my primary server. It was formatted with EXT