What's new

6 minute exceedingly long time to come to ready?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How long does it take for your router to reboot from time you hit OK to you see LEDs on the router and you can access the UI?

I have one, its my 3rd one, the first two I updated to the latest firmware and with in a week of one another they went back, I looked into it after the 2nd and found SNB, on my third I did not update to the latest firmware I went straight to Merlin's, 4 weeks later still got it, but yes they do take along time rebooting, I almost always hold my breath while doing it, especially after the first 2 5300.

Regards

The only time I get a new WAN IP address is if I power cycle the ISP Modem (SB6121) and depending on how long I've had the WAN IP address, I may or may not get a new one. When I change out routers, and don't do anything with the modem, WAN IP address is not effected. Most of the routers I test don't required me to reboot the ISP Modem. Normal process for me when I put a new router online is to reboot the modem and while it's rebooting connect up the new router and have it ready to turn on when the modem is synced.

How long should it take the 5300 to reboot and come back to ready?
Where is this log located at in Merlin?
And still wondering why i have to intervene in getting the WAN going after the router has come back online.

I would still give it a try. Otherwise, it would mean that your ISP's DHCP server would allow you to obtain multiple DHCP leases, which would be quite unusual.

To know more about what is taking so long, you will have to look at the system log, and check the timestamps.

Thank you Colin. Does the log view have and export feature? I'll run a reboot test again then go in can capture what I can from the log. If RM or someone needs to review it further, I can send it somewhere for review.

Thank you.

Ok, Will have a go at this.

Thank you.

3PM MST started a reboot. No configurations made in UI before reboot. Disconnected all other LAN devices from router accept for my wired LAN PC which I was using for this test.
Takes 2:20 to get to 100%
This this is seen in browser:
Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC5300.
To access the settings of RT-AC5300, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

Appox 5:55 minutes later the Internet and LAN LEDs appear. Internet is red and would not go white on it's own after 7:00 minutes passed.
I selected the Setup Wizard and started to detect ISP service. Used Auto DHCP for my ISP. Only took a few seconds then Internet LED turned White and working.
Cleared log first before hitting reboot.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cu7yzdifimb7qg/ASUS_AC5300_RebootTimeTest_Merlin_syslog.txt?dl=0
Hope this captures something.

Mac Book Pro 2008 OSX 10.10.5 and Safari 10.0.1

I don't have any answers for you :( but I did notice a few things that seem odd.

1) There is a 5 minute 45 second gap in the log between it shutting down and starting again. Perhaps the router rebooted multiple times but the log was overwritten.

2) The MAC address of your WAN interface is changing twice to a cloned address. Why is that, are you doing that deliberately? If not make sure you clear out the MAC Address field under WAN settings.

3) Why are you having to manually detect your ISP connection after the reboot? Did you do a factory reset just before?

1) There is a 5 minute 45 second gap in the log between it shutting down and starting again. Perhaps the router rebooted multiple times but the log was overwritten.
Saw only the power LED on at this time frame.
2) The MAC address of your WAN interface is changing twice to a cloned address. Why is that, are you doing that deliberately? If not make sure you clear out the MAC Address field under WAN settings.
No Mac Cloning is ever configured for my ISP...there is no value listed for Mac Address for Clone.
3) Why are you having to manually detect your ISP connection after the reboot? Did you do a factory reset just before?
I don't know why I have to manually intervene to get Internet going. No factory reset. Just REBOOT.

If this behavior isn't indicative of any AC5300 router then I will presume I may have a faulty unit.
Lets see what RM has to say after his review of my captured log file.

Thank you for your time.

No Mac Cloning is ever configured for my ISP...there is no value listed for Mac Address for Clone.
The first cloned address is an Apple device (your connected MacBook?) then it changes to the routers address. Someone else reported this behaviour and I think I've experienced it myself when using the setup wizard.

We appeared to solve it by typing some random characters into the MAC Clone field, hitting the X to clear it again and then clicking apply.

Try that and see if it makes any difference to the internet detection issue.

Ya, thats my mac that I was using wired to the router. Nothing else was connected.
Ok, i'll give this a try. Would 00:00:00:00:00 work?
I can type in a value into Mac Clone then there is a Mac Clone button. No X button seen.
I hit Mac Clone button, Then deleted the value and then hit Apply.

Last edited:
I think so. If you start typing any characters the "X" will appear which is what you're after.

But like I said, it appeared to fix the MAC clone problem. No guarantees.

Ok so after selecting mac clone button then deleting the value then applying the setting and rebooting, it still Internet was disconnected after getting back in to the UI. I had to use the set up wizard to get it reconnected.

I thought I saw a post by Merlin that ASUS was 'trying' out a change to change the MAC address for the router. I saw the same thing in another syslog I looked at for someone. Seems like a bad idea to me.

Ya, Mac Cloning should not be needed unless the ISP specifically needs it for there services. Mine doesn't. My other Mfr routers don't.

Let see what Merlin says.

The only time I get a new WAN IP address is if I power cycle the ISP Modem (SB6121) and depending on how long I've had the WAN IP address, I may or may not get a new one.
Can you try to borrow a non SB6121 cable modem from a friend/family? There are some posts in the past that I've read that were having problems with the same modem when combined with Asus router.

Can you try to borrow a non SB6121 cable modem from a friend/family? There are some posts in the past that I've read that were having problems with the same modem when combined with Asus router.

I don't know why but I'd like to try another AC power adapter for the router.

You mean non SB series or different model #?
I have a SB-6180.
I have a friend on mine that has this same router and a SB-6180 and says:
"Most of the time the LED’s are on by 100%, but I have noticed a solid “red” light sometimes after 100%, but it goes away"

Last edited:
You mean non SB series or different model #?
I have a SB-6180.
I have a friend on mine that has this same router and a SB-6180 and say:
"Most of the time the LED’s are on by 100%, but I have noticed a solid “red” light sometimes after 100%, but it goes away"
Any SB model newer than SB6121 or different brand but since you have SB6180, you can try that and see if you obtain an IP quicker without doing it manually. Stop looking at the LED light, what's important is, if you have connectivity. Make sure you have the latest firmware for the cable modem too and that it's configured in bridge mode if you wanted the ASUS router to be the primary router.

Last edited:
Ok, will try. so theres a possible problem the 6121 and asus router huh?

Any SB model newer than SB6121 or different brand but since you have SB6180, you can try that and see if you obtain an IP quicker without doing it manually/

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!