What's new

A couple of Assorted issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vexira

Part of the Furniture
I seem to be having a few issues mainly related to upnp, but there is another odd bug, that ill list. i leve my router on and only reboot during a firmware update, to avoid the need to reboot the ata it appears that upnp doent clear the opend ports till a reboot is prefomed, though since i set the ata to keep alive it should be the only ports open if the router clears the existing forwards.

Grand stream HT 812 ATA, the odd thing is that after my router reboots, caus ei have it set to a reboot once a day schedule, the ata will reboot as well but the port will not dispaly in the upnp log rendering the phone unuseable, forcing me to manually reboot it a second time. This is a sort of high prority issue to me

After router reboot, ata auto matically reboots.

After a manual reboot of the ata.

The next issue is to do with my 87u in acess point mode, as you can see from the screen shot, there are some things that shouldnt be present like traffic analiser and the tools menu, since they are only aplicable to router mode, the issue only appear after i flashed from stock to merlin and factory reset the device.

This issue is related to steam link, it seems that after 380.66 every time i do a network test on steam link, it gets an error but some times will connect and give me a result, prior to 380.67 alpha one i got the network test error message and the inconssitent ablity to network test, on 380.66 it worked fine always and on both firmware i can still connect to the host pc but only after 380.67 alpha 1 did i start getting an error in net work test

380.66 network test, in steam link.

380.67 alpa1 one and above network test in steam link.

Grand theft auto 5, the odd part of this one is that both via upnp and pcp the error is the same as you can see from the screen shot even though the port is in the upnp log, rockstar social club still reads moderate nat, it used to use upnp in earlier builds.

Rockstar Social Club

Upnp Log

This bug is to do with modern ware fare 3 spec ops mode, even though it uses port 3074 and that port appears in the upnp log, the folloing error is dispalyed
Spec ops nat error

This issue is with the Xbox one app on pc, it can allow for streaming of xbox one games to pc, im not entirely sure if its part of the crossplat form with xbox one and pc games that ms is promoting. But the issue seems to be that only one instance will allow for open status the other will be blocked, it seems to alternate bettween which pc is on first.

Xbox one pc app when it gets a port through and works normally

Xbox one pc app when it doesnt forward correctly for some unknown reason

This issue is with my cousins ps4 and my freinds ps4, there has only been one ps 4 at a time connected to the router, it seems to always display this mod nat error type 2 nat is moderate, even though theres a port open.
if you look at the upnp log 9308 (udp) is the ps4 ip is 192.168.1.18.

Ps4 network test.

Upnp Log

The Finale issue is to do with battle born across both my pcs, it seems that the port does not even appear in the upnp log and im not exaclty sure which port it uses, but i still get this error.

Last edited:
Upnp log from xbox one app on windows 10 with open status, its tedro.

Also it seems that to get upnp working constiantly the router needs to be rebooted every 1-3 days. Also the biggest issue ive found is that amnual port forwarding is broken, entirely, i attemted to manually port forward gta v with a static ip, and the client ignored it and contuesed to use pcp.
Ports for ps 4
TCP Ports: 80, 443, 465, 983, 1935, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, and 10070
https://community.playstation.com/c...ort.topic.html/multiple_playstation-bM2X.html

Gta V ports
TCP Ports: 80, 443
UDP Ports: 6672, 61455, 61457, 61456, and 61458
https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200525767-GTA-Online-Connection-Troubleshooting

More poorly written tech support articles... Sigh. The vast majority (if not the totality) of the ports listed on these articles need to be open outbound, not inbound, which means they have nothing to do with port forwarding.

You DEFINITELY don't need ports tcp/80 or udp/53 to be forwarded for instance - one is for web access, the other is for DNS lookups.

More poorly written tech support articles... Sigh. The vast majority (if not the totality) of the ports listed on these articles need to be open outbound, not inbound, which means they have nothing to do with port forwarding.

You DEFINITELY don't need ports tcp/80 or udp/53 to be forwarded for instance - one is for web access, the other is for DNS lookups.
only the udp ports above 1024 are important, is there anything that you could possibly do to fix the issues with upnp based off of the screen shots, I would really appreciate it if that's possible in any ways.
I suspect that gta would need a masquerade rule perhaps.
if there's any more info you need feel free to ask and ill provide what I can.

only the udp ports above 1024 are important, is there anything that you could possibly do to fix the issues with upnp based off of the screen shots, I would really appreciate it if that's possible in any ways.

UPnP works fine for me, and it also does for most users. I'm not convinced that the problem (if really there is one) isn't with the consoles themselves. I haven't seen a single UPnP issue mentioning a desktop application so far. And I know that the Xbox (and possibly the Playstation) have broken UPnP implementations (they will fail to refresh their own port forwards that have expired if they have gone to sleep, requiring a reboot of the console).

If there's still any UPnP issue left, people should ask the miniupnpd author about it. All Asuswrt does is run miniupnpd, which takes care of creating/deleting iptables rules as necessary. Debugging the UPnP protocol is beyond the scope of this project, and I've already spent too much time in the past on this. The user feedback is even conflicting, as some people said all their UPnP issues were resolved the last time I looked into this one or two releases ago.

Your ATA should not require any port forward. I don't forward any ports with my Cisco ATA, and my VoIP is working fine.

My upnp issues are pc and my ATA non to do with consoles except the one ps4 issue which on further reading is a bug on Sony's end , I even disabled Windows firewall and my anti virus, to test the pc issues and to trouble shoot the steam link, which bizarrely started having network testing issues after 380.67 alpha 1, I wondered if the router has a delay before it allows devices to make upnp forwards because that would explain the issue with the ATA, when I reboot the router, my VoIP ATA grandstream HT812 will reboot but the ports don't appear in the upnp log till I reboot the ATA again even though it reconneced to the router after it rebooted it waits for the router to come online completely. Until the second reboot I can't use the phone, cause the ports don't appear in the upnp log, I tested manually port forwarding but it seems to be broken. Also what's the best way to contact the miniupnp dev, Git hub or his forum.? Since my issues are pc related.

Last edited:
More poorly written tech support articles... Sigh.
To be fair to Sony, the article that Vexira was linking to was

a) not written by Sony,
b) written by someone that obviously doesn't know much about networking (i.e. a typical gamer),
c) doesn't understand what the official Sony documentation that they are referring to means.

For example, the official Sony documents state that ports 80, 443 (and various others) are used to connect to the PlayStation Network servers. These are outgoing connections not incoming. At no time does Sony suggest that you need to port forward these ports into your network. Unfortunately, this hasn't stopped the internet kiddies accumulating a massive list of every port used by every game and trying to forward them all into their home network.:rolleyes: And then they wonder why nothing works properly. :p

380.67 (and a couple of previous releases as well) had a port forwarding issue when either disabling the NAT loopback or setting it to Merlin while NAT acceleration is enabled. The issue is resolved with 380.68, so either try 380.68 alpha, or try disabling NAT acceleration to see what happens. 380.67 was actually the release where some people who used to have UPnP issues reported their issues were solved, as I added an extra masquerading rule (beside the one that's already there for all LAN to WAN traffic).

ATAs don't need port forwarding. The ATA is the one registering with the server. I don't forward any port with my Cisco SPA112 ATA, and it's been working fine for years. I also have an IP phone (on a different account) which also works fine without any port forward. Make sure you have the SIP NAT Helper enabled as well, on the WAN -> NAT Passthrough page.

I only checked the GTA link, as I was wondering if the game developer was better clued - it wasn't :(

380.67 (and a couple of previous releases as well) had a port forwarding issue when either disabling the NAT loopback or setting it to Merlin while NAT acceleration is enabled. The issue is resolved with 380.68, so either try 380.68 alpha, or try disabling NAT acceleration to see what happens. 380.67 was actually the release where some people who used to have UPnP issues reported their issues were solved, as I added an extra masquerading rule (beside the one that's already there for all LAN to WAN traffic).

ATAs don't need port forwarding. The ATA is the one registering with the server. I don't forward any port with my Cisco SPA112 ATA, and it's been working fine for years. I also have an IP phone (on a different account) which also works fine without any port forward. Make sure you have the SIP NAT Helper enabled as well, on the WAN -> NAT Passthrough page.

I only checked the GTA link, as I was wondering if the game developer was better clued - it wasn't :(
Ah k I'm using the 380.68 alpha 2, upnp works for most stuff for me just a few things that are playing up, gta had the mod nat issue from both pcp and upnp, it used to be always open on my old netgear router I do remember using manual port forwarding on an older version of the firmware I think it was in the 380.66 alpha or beta and I managed to get an open nat status after all the ports were forwarded, maybe theirs something weird in my early revision 88u. I checked nat pass-through and sip helper is on, In my ata set my nat traversal to upnp, I might do what my friend did with similar issues and just get an ip phone, your ata doesn't happen to be using a stun server, by any chance. I might change nat traversal to keep alive instead of upnp, which its currently set to it might fix it, my isp prefes that I use their hardware but I'm using a mac clone that allows the ata to register in the first place.

Any Ideas on how to fix the mod nat bugs, I disabled my av trend micro and windows firewall even reinstalled the games and windows same mod nat, in GTA V and MW3 spec ops, with fire wall disabled and av steam link is just the same error on net work test, I suppose that given I have read about others with the same issues as mine its probs just broken, and battle born, GTAV and MW3 will stay broken unless fixed by the devs. I guess ill just have wait till the day upnp v2.0 becomes actually useable, and hope that thers a possibility that it wont have the same issues, regardless thank you for taking the time to have a look at the issues.

This is the guide I followed when configuring my ATA:

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Cisco_SPA112

I'm using NAT Keep-Alive.
Ohhh that explains it no wonder it works, just tested it so far so good thanks for the tip.
I seem to notice that upnp will bugg out after a few hours of uptime, I also observed that upnp forwards for game like call of duty won't clear out until I reboot the router, not that I mind the constant open nat status, but it causes other things that rely on upnp to play up as well.
well that's two things down, the ata and the windows 10 xbox app.
I still cant work out the gta v issue its the pc version my xbox one copy works perfect, I have it on both pc and xbox one.

Last edited:
ohhh that explains it no wonder it works, also does keep alive survive a router reboot?

I reboot my router multiple times per week for firmware test purposes, and I never ever reboot my ATA.

If you want to experiment with NAT types and see if Full Cone NAT might make consoles happier, you can try manually configuring it:

http://www.joewein.net/info/sw-iptables-full-cone-nat.htm
I don't know if that would help, with my win 10 boxes, I have the cod mw3 spec ops issue and gta v as well as battle born issue on my pcs both running windows 10, but strangely cod and everything else works fine, I don't understand why, do you think id have to mod iptables to fix the gta v issue, could it be an issue with port 6672 or just the client software. Ok just an update that spec ops mode from mw3 is not registering a port number in upnp same as battle born, I think all three use 3074 as a port number all udp. ill have to learn how to mod ip tables to see if that helps, I doubt, its an issue with symmetric nat, I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
I don't understand why, do you think id have to mod iptables to fix the gta v issue, could it be an issue with port 6672 or just the client software

I don't know. Quite frankly, the fact that there is so much confusion and issues surrounding a mere NAT port forward is simply beyond me.

I don't know. Quite frankly, the fact that there is so much confusion and issues surrounding a mere NAT port forward is simply beyond me.
The issue is with a pc copy of gta v, the port is forwarded by port control protocol, it uses port 6672, but it still displays a moderate nat status I'm just wondering if I need to open the additional ports: 61455, 61457, 61456 & 61458, or if social club is just broken, I just had a guess that the ports possibly need a masquerade rule to fix it , since that's what fixed call of duty games on my pcs nat error, exception being modern warfare 3's spec ops mode which even though it forwards port 3074 via upnp still throws up a nat error like social club, they seem to have the same issue, both get a port in the upnp, pcp, nat-pmp log but still have nat errors which defies logic.

Battle Born across both my pcs does not even seem to forward a port, so I'm not sure it can be fixed and throws up moderate nat.

I'm assuming something similar would be need for the steam link, since ever time I run a net work test with it it throws up the can connect to (pc name) on port 27013 like the screen shot above short of valve breaking it in an up date in not sure why it throws up the error since 380.66 it was fine, even though there was no displayed port in the log its internal connection test would display results.

The device
http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/

Ports it uses
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7978-RDZV-1908

oh and before I forget I still have a tools menu in my 87u even though I set it to ap mode, 380.68 alpha 2 refresh got rid of traffic analyser in access point mode that part fixes my 87u gui issue but the tools menu is still there, the same one that's in router mode and shouldn't be.

I fully understand if you cant fix the issues with upnp, but I don't think the 87u in ap mode's gui issues should be a problem, since its already partly fixed. I have come to the conclusion that the router does need reboots to clear stuff, other wise upnp will bug out.

Last edited:

a) not written by Sony,
b) written by someone that obviously doesn't know much about networking (i.e. a typical gamer),
c) doesn't understand what the official Sony documentation that they are referring to means.

For example, the official Sony documents state that ports 80, 443 (and various others) are used to connect to the PlayStation Network servers. These are outgoing connections not incoming. At no time does Sony suggest that you need to port forward these ports into your network. Unfortunately, this hasn't stopped the internet kiddies accumulating a massive list of every port used by every game and trying to forward them all into their home network.:rolleyes: And then they wonder why nothing works properly. :p
do you have any ideas on what could be done to fix some of the issues, masquerade rules etc