What's new

A DS1511+ disaster :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joe567890

Occasional Visitor
Hi All!

I have a DS1511+ (and a 5 disk DX510 expansion unit). I use 3TB Western Digital Green hard drives, and use the SHR raid configuration. One volume with 5 drives for the DS1511+ and another volume for the expansion unit.

Last night disk 4 in the DS1511+ crashed. I replaced the drive, and started the "repair". When I went to sleep, it was ~2% complete. This morning I woke up, and now Disk 4 and Disk 1 in the DS1511+ have crashed. I am bummed... :(

Is there a preferred method to try and retain as much of my data as possible? Am I SOL? Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

That sucks, but you should be ok just don't touch anything yet.

I had this almost exact problem happen to me. You will need to contact Synology's tech support. They will eventually, it took around a week in my case, have a rep remotely access the DS1511+ and will remount the RAID in degraded mode. Once they do that, back up everything to external devices and then wipe the DS1511+ and start over.

You may loose some data, but it should be minimal.

Hopefully you have good backups in case there has been any data corruption.

Best of luck.

Thanks!
I think I have enough drives around to offload.
They still have not replied to me.
At least it is encouraging!

Do you think I can use the other volume (3 drives on my DX510)?
I would think so, but I'm paranoid now.

And thanks again for the response!

If you didn't call them, do so.

Synology America Corp.
13343 NE Bel-Red Road
Bellevue, WA 98005
USA
+1 425 296 3177 - Support
+1 425 818 1587 - Other Inquiries
(Hours of operation: 9A-5P, M-F, GMT-8)

Update which folks might find interesting.

They did respond via email, and it was within 48 hours. Not super-great, but in 2012 and the state of technology vendors, it really is not that bad.

So after an email exchange I turned my NAS back on and found I could still "read" from the crashed volume. So my offload copy is in progress (slowly....)

Of interest, The "new" Disk-4 remains invisible, I got two "I/O error" on Disk-1 overnight, and also a notice that Disk-2 had crashed (and a few "I/O error" notices).

It now seems probable to me that this is mostly a DiskStation-based event/problem. I think Disk-4 (the original, not the invisible/non-initialized Disk-4 in the NAS now) was clearly defective which was the compelling cause. But I do not think Disk-1, the new Disk-4, and now Disk-2 are defective/failed. We'll get more information after the offload when I do some SMART tests.

Do folks think my NAS unit is defective? Are there settings to mitigate the issues?

Thanks!

The scheme I decided to use is unconventional, but it's what experience tells me is best for home/SOHO...

Dual drive NAS.
Drive 1 is volume 1; drive 2 is volume 2.
No RAID.

Synology's time backup feature keeps volume 2 in synch with volume 1.
So a drive failure is protected by the opposite volume.
A file system corruption is limited to that volume- the other volume is a different file system. I think this is better for me anyway, than RAID1 or RAID5 where a file system corruption is RAID-wide.

And on occasion, volume 1 is copied out USB3 (or eSATA) to a portable drive that goes off-site.

I also use ($30) SecondCopy on my main PC - it watches really important folders on my PC (financial stuff) and copies to the NAS whenever there's a change, and stores on the NAS the last 4 versions of all files/folders.

Last edited:
It now seems probable to me that this is mostly a DiskStation-based event/problem. I think Disk-4 (the original, not the invisible/non-initialized Disk-4 in the NAS now) was clearly defective which was the compelling cause. But I do not think Disk-1, the new Disk-4, and now Disk-2 are defective/failed. We'll get more information after the offload when I do some SMART tests.
I concur. I would also like to know how recovery/rebuild went !

Even though Synology yells at you that RAID is not backup (30+ years in the business ... I know this !), they don't tell you how easy it is to use tar to back up your RAID set(s) to a JBOD (cheaper), the same NAS !

Some day I'll get around to writing that cron shell script to do this !

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!