What's new

AC-68U Cannot Connect to Internet Using Wireless Bridge and Rogers Ignite Modem - Help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

faunus

Occasional Visitor
Living in a rural area, I have lived for many years with intermittent 3Mbps internet service (for $100.00 a month!). However, a friend of mine recently purchased the only house in a nearby village (6Km away) that has LOS to my own barn. His house has Rogers Ignite!!

So, full of joy and excitement, I purchased a wireless bridge (300Mbps) set it all up, and had no problem accessing my entire network from the village. After plugging in the Rogers modem, and turning off DHCP, I was able to change the IP so that it did not conflict with the Asus 68U (which uses 192.168.0.1) and had no problem logging into the Rogers modem from my remote site (new IP 192.168.0.4)

However, I cannot access the internet through the modem from my remote network! I have the server end of my wireless bridge connected to the Rogers modem, and the 68U router is 6Km away, after the client end of the wireless bridge in my office. If I put the Rogers modem into "bridge mode" it changes it’s IP address to 192.168.100.1 (it cannot be altered) and then connect to the wireless bridge, I cannot access the modem at all from any remote location – unless I change the accessing computer’s IP at it’s adapter, to the same subnet (192.168.100). If I run the Rogers modem in "non bridge mode" and plug in the wireless bridge to any port, I CAN access and log into the Rogers modem, and see all the remote and local devices, but cannot connect to the internet from my network. Of course I CAN connect to the internet by plugging a computer directly into the Rogers modem locally!

I am wondering if it is some thing to do with the router, (which has a three year old Merlin firmware – and has been absolutely fabulous by the way). I cannot connect the Rogers modem to the router's wan port (not at six Km away). I was wondering if I was missing an option on the router that removed the "WAN not connected" alert? Perhaps it's not working because the router considers itself to be disconnected from the internet, although it IS clearly connected through the LAN. I do have a spare 68U that perhaps I could connect directly to the Rogers modem, but how would I connect it and set it up? Bridge? AP?

I would be grateful for any help and assistance. If I can get this working, it will make a big difference for my family and the folk who work here at the farm.

I am literally exhausted after trying to work this out (driving back and forth and racking my tired senior citizen brain) I would really appreciate some help and advice with this.

Does anyone have a similar setup? What am I missing? I do not want to use the Rogers modem as a router (I am very happy with the Merlin Asus) and, of course, it will not run my VPN and I want privacy for my small business - and for myself.

Thank you all for your patience in reading this. This forum helped me tremendously a few years ago – thanks to Merlin and everyone! Once again, all advice is much appreciated.

Nick M

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online