What's new

AC5300 owners who upgraded to GT-AC5300, Are you satisfied with the upgrade?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fearz

Hi,

I'm posting this here specially on Merlin sub-forum because the GT is not supported by Merlin so you're losing all the great Merlin firmware features already on the GT and only him knows whether if it will be supported or not.

But i'm in a situation where I can get the GT for a very good bargain price as a replacement for my AC5300.

Yes, i'll be losing Merlin Firmware for now and WISHING that someday he will support it.

But who upgraded, do you regret it? are there any big flaws in it as i'm reading from many like about the wireless 5GHz losing or dropping connectivity?

Is it really worth the upgrade? if yes, what difference are you noticing? I also read the iOS app is only available locally for the GT not from outside the network, is that true?

Does it has VPN policy based rules like Merlin? (have specific devices go through VPN and others through normal internet connection?)

What about the new interface as it's totally different? is it any better?

If your current device works fine, keep it...

I'm not seeing a big need there - I do see a potential want for the latest/greatest stuff - resist that one...

Yeah - dual core to quad core ?? Big deal - AC5300 is fast enough mean enough and bad enough for me

I received my GT-AC5300 as a gift, or should I say, replacement since a friend's child knocked my RT-AC5300 off the five tier shelf it was on. Given the choice, no, I wouldn't... was doing fine with the RT. GT's been out more than a year and firmware is still not there yet; random reboots and stability had become a norm. Their latest release (as of early June) had cause a lot of headaches for my VPN service and had to reload older version. Wireless speed and coverage seems the same. Specs of the GT sounds great, but firmware is another. VPN service has been a lot faster due to hardware crypto acceleration in the GT. If you are not into VPN, I wouldn't even bother until at least AX wireless routers are the norm. And if you are using VPN and deciding on the GT, I'd go wth the RT-AC86U. That's at least supported by Merlin. Why are you considering the upgrade?

Last edited:

I'm not seeing a big need there - I do see a potential want for the latest/greatest stuff - resist that one...

The thing is im going to exchange my a5300 to the gt, so I’m wondering if its gonna be worth it.

I received my GT-AC5300 as a gift, or should I say, replacement since a friend's child knocked my RT-AC5300 off the five tier shelf it was on. Given the choice, no, I wouldn't... was doing fine with the RT. GT's been out more than a year and firmware is still not there yet; random reboots and stability had become a norm. Their latest release (as of early June) had cause a lot of headaches for my VPN service and had to reload older version. Wireless speed and coverage seems the same. Specs of the GT sounds great, but firmware is another. VPN service has been a lot faster due to hardware crypto acceleration in the GT. If you are not into VPN, I wouldn't even bother until at least AX wireless routers are the norm. And if you are using VPN and deciding on the GT, I'd go wth the RT-AC86U. That's at least supported by Merlin. Why are you considering the upgrade?

Ill pay $100 for giving my ac5300 for a new gt, good bargain i guess right? But i really wanna know if its gonna be a gain to me or mot specially that ill be losing merlin.

It works fine but i can get the gt with exchanging it for $100, good deal right?

Like Jerie- said, the firmware is not there yet. Great if you have a quad core cpu, but if you have random reboots and other stability issue, what do you gain?

Like Jerie- said, the firmware is not there yet. Great if you have a quad core cpu, but if you have random reboots and other stability issue, what do you gain?

To that extent the router is unstable? Their flagship?! Unbelievable!

I have no experience with the specific router, I do know nowadays the time a product is launched is kept as short as possible. As a consequence often the software part is no where near mature enough. Not only for routers but on most consumer products. That's why I tend to not be an early adopter and I do not buy a just released product but wait a while. So price will be a bit less, and most bugs have been squashed so the product will be more usable.

Ultimately it is all up to you. $100 bucks more for a gt sounds good, but if you run into stability problems or other things that are not working correctly yet you won't be a happy camper. And you'll go without Merlin's additions to the firmware...

Just my 2 cts..

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!