What's new

AC56U stopped working - power light on

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

azizhp

New Around Here
This morning my AC56U just stopped working. All indicator lights are off except for power. I unplugged it and replugged it in and power cycled etc but no use, the router will only show power on.

If I connect my PC to my cable modem directly, I have internet. If I connect the router to the cable modem, and the PC to the router using ethernet cables, I do not have internet. This, even though the ethernet jacks in the back of the router are showing normal blinking lights when I plug the jacks in.

The router refuses to transmit any wireless signal at all.

I've already RMAed the router and will mail it tomorrow but on the off chance I am doing something odd, figured I would ask you all what the problem might be in case it is fixable.

The user manual does not provide enough info to trouble shoot any issues. Here is a simple solution that works most of the time. All three steps must be executed at the same time.

With your left hand you will power up your Router, with your right you have to rub your tummy in a counter clockwise motion, and touch your nose with your tongue.

If you have successfully executed all 3 steps, then the router will reset back to factory defaults and all issues will be resolved.

Even if someone came up with a magic way to fix it I wouldn't keep it. It did it once and will most likely do it again. You are within the return window. Just return it or exchange it for another one.

thats what I figured. I injured myself trying to rub my tummy at the same time

RMA is away. I hate paying $15 in shipping for a failure on the manufacturer's part. Ah well.

thats what I figured. I injured myself trying to rub my tummy at the same time

RMA is away. I hate paying $15 in shipping for a failure on the manufacturer's part. Ah well.

The problem is the bootloader wich I heard from Merlin that is buggy. something in the nvram got mess up, in order to work again you would have to reset the nvram. there is only two ways

1) you could be very lucky and be able to get the router in recovery mode then used the recovery tool from Asus.

2) You can get the TTL device to do a serial connection to the router but you would have to open the router

I know this because the same thing happened to me.

So, the only thing to do is take the Router for an exchange?

Same thing happened...POWER LED remains on and unable to get into recovery mode. Tried every method i can find via Google.

The bootloader on AC56U is utter piece of art... On Monday I am picking RMA of RMA unit ( yes, I managed to brick the RMA replacement unit within 36hrs and had to RMA again).

Check if there is an RMA location close to you - I got really lucky in that sense - I dropped off mine myself.

Anyway, most likely you will not get your unit back from RMA, you will get a refurb unit... Good luck!

I've said it numerous times: if you are going to be doing any low-level tinkering (such as overclocking), you will most definitely want a serial cable to be able to recover your device in case of accidents. Those are sold for a few dollars on eBay.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!