What's new

AC68. Best option right now? overclock. channel undlock. 374.XX firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mylle

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

Just bought an AC68U (could not wait for AC87)

Just read that because of FCC regulations firmware from 376.xx and up will be crippled. Is that correct?

To be able to unlock channel on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band i will have to stay on 374.xx firmware?

Im planning on doing the following to the router after flashing to 374.43.2 (best firmware atm?)

nvram set wl0_TxPower=1000
nvram set wl_TxPower=1000
nvram set wl1_TxPower=1000
nvram set 0:ccode=#a
nvram set 1:ccode=#a
nvram set 0:regrev=0
nvram set 1:regrev=0
nvram set wl0_country_code=#a
nvram set wl0_country_rev=0
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=off
nvram set wl1_country_code=#a
nvram set wl1_country_rev=0
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=off
nvram commit
reboot

Will this work? Is there anything i should be aware of? any other tweaks that could be done to get the most potential out of this router?

BTW. My bootloader version is 1.0.1.7. I cant seem to find anything on the forum higher than 1.0.1.6. Dont know if that makes a difference?

Thank you for a great forum :)

Regards
Jacob

Last edited:
Yea I run with the same commands.

Additonally, you can also overclock it with these commands: 1200,800 seems to be a stable overclock for everyone. The first one is stock:
nvram set clkfreq=800,666
nvram set clkfreq=1000,800
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram set clkfreq=1300,800

Hi guys,

Just read that because of FCC regulations firmware from 376.xx and up will be crippled. Is that correct?

To be able to unlock channel on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band i will have to stay on 374.xx firmware?

Im planning on doing the following to the router after flashing to 374.43.2 (best firmware atm?)

nvram commit
reboot

Will this work? Is there anything i should be aware of? any other tweaks that could be done to get the most potential out of this router?

BTW. My bootloader version is 1.0.1.7. I cant seem to find anything on the forum higher than 1.0.1.6. Dont know if that makes a difference?

Regards
Jacob

Stay with 43_2 or lower... If you want you can edit the cfe file but, if you mess up you'll brick the router...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Jacob-
One thing to note, I found that the command for wl_txpower needs to be lower case instead of the shown wl_TxPower.

Hi guys,

nvram commit
reboot

Regards
Jacob

Do these setting give you a substantial gain in distance or throughput - our both?

from my perspective, I focused mostly on USB 3.0 performance. Then I focused on a topology for bridge. [Unfortunately, 5GHz doesn't reach across my house for wireless bridge. ALso, the current firmware doesn't separate the Mode for the different radio bands allow us 1 bridge and 1 AP.] So, I will use a wired 1gbps connection for 2 APs.

As a reference: with setting above an txpower=500, Distance= ~50ft through 4-5 house walls. I get about -74dbm --- this is 6-10dbm Better than the Cisco E3000 at 400mwatt setting (tomato/setting, but i don't know what the actual power capability is).

I'm mostly concerned with boosting distance. I bought 9db antennas from ebay.

what settings should I change to boost the power levels to increase 2.4GHz & 5Gh (I don't care which) distance?

I'm mostly concerned with boosting distance. I bought 9db antennas from ebay.

what settings should I change to boost the power levels to increase 2.4GHz & 5Gh (I don't care which) distance?

I believe your answer is as follows. NOTE the lowercase variables for txpower.
also, I am not positive how high you can boost the power with the latest firmware. After entering these commands, when I queried for Country, it still said US and value of 19. I don't quite know what the 19 references, but read somewhere top number should be 24.

I also suggest maybe using 300 or 500 instead of 1000 and see how it works for you especially since you bought higher gain antennas. 7db won't change much but you should see noticable improvement with 9db antennas.

---------------
nvram set wl0_txpower=1000
nvram set wl_txpower=1000
nvram set wl1_txpower=1000
nvram commit
reboot

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!