What's new

AC68U Facebook Wifi still able to access internet without "check-in"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

secant

New Around Here
Hello I am new here. I am trying to setup Facebook Wifi in my hair salon so that when clients come to our salon and want to access our Wifi, they will have to visit our Facebook Page first and "check-in".

General detail about this can be found here:
http://www.hotspotsystem.com/free-hotspot-social
https://www.facebook.com/business/facebook-wifi

I bought the AC68U because it has this specific function and followed this procedure to setup its facebook wifi:
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1016297

After I followed every instruction, I tried to test it out, I connect my smartphone to the AC68U's facebook wifi, I was taken to our Facebook page with the "check-in" button. But somehow, if I just click on the address bar and simply go to other websites, I was still able to go. That means even if I don't click "check-in" I already have internet access. Then this function is pretty much useless no?

I retried this in flight-mode to make sure my smartphone wasn't using my data plan, and still I was able to access internet without clicking "check-in". Am I doing anything wrong? Are there any settings that the instructions given above are missing? Or does the AC68U simply can't do what I want and simply can just redirect my clients to our facebook page without needing to "check-in"?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Try the test again but with the browser using Private Mode. I suspect that you've probably got a cookie stored that's allowing you access. What did you set as the session length?

Try the test again but with the browser using Private Mode. I suspect that you've probably got a cookie stored that's allowing you access. What did you set as the session length?

Interesting, will test with private mode on my phone's safari browser and see.
I set the session to 2 hours in case if some clients are here to do hair coloring or perm which require a longer time.
Btw if private mode works, will other users who do not use private mode still gain access to Wifi without "checking-in"?
Thanks!

Interesting, will test with private mode on my phone's safari browser and see.
I set the session to 2 hours in case if some clients are here to do hair coloring or perm which require a longer time.
Btw if private mode works, will other users who do not use private mode still gain access to Wifi without "checking-in"?
Thanks!

I couldn't say for certain as the wording in the FAQ isn't super clear to me on the Bypass mode options. If I'm interpreting it correctly than if they click the Skip check-in link than it sounds like they could access the WiFi without the check-in, but if you choose the require Wi-Fi code than it sounds like they wouldn't be able to use the WiFi without the code or using the check-in option.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!