What's new

AC68W Losing internet connection after firmware upgrade to _7266

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pdoyle

Regular Contributor
90 year old 2-story smaller house with thick plaster/lath walls and large heating brick flue right in center of each floor; thoughts on moving it from 1st floor, to 2nd floor; even though I also need wifi coverage for basement? I guess the question is, will I keep good wifi connectivity in basement if router is two floors above?
Reasonable thing would be to relocate the router and then test for coverage; but it's so hard to snake the Cat5E ethernet cabling through old-house dropped ceiling and also walls; just an adventure, don't know what you'll find. I've read the signal travels best downward...any thoughts? thanks!

My house is stick house with stucco exterior fairly new. Always located router on the 2nd floor loft. No issues with two computers in the basement on wireless.

Thanks, that is useful! I've read that wifi signal travels better through floors, than through walls (laterally; inter - room, on same floor) .

My RT-AC68U with stock firmware is on the lowest floor of a Dutch brick house with concrete floors, the router is located near the open stairs construction to the next floors.
On the floor with the router both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are optimal.
On the first floor 2.4 GHz is still optimal, 5 GHz is fair.
On the second floor 2.4 GHz is fair and 5 GHz is gone.
You may be able to give it a try with a long patch cable up to ~100m/300ft, temporary routed the shortest route.
Once you found a proper router location, you can route a permanent cable.
For the permanent cable I suggest shielded Cat6 (connectors with a metal shield, both ends of the shield shall be electrically connected through the cable shield).

Thanks, that is useful! I've read that wifi signal travels better through floors, than through walls (laterally; inter - room, on same floor) .
That really depends on what the floors and walls are made of.

For example: If the floors are wood but the walls are plaster over expanded-metal mesh, just guess what happens!:eek:

Curious for your expert opinions. Shall I expect improved 5GHz signal on second floor Galaxy S7 AC device, after Asus RT-N66R in AP mode is added on second floor, connected to LAN port of the RT-AC68W on first floor? Currently with just first floor AC68W wifi I'm getting 650 Mbps at 100% first floor, but only 200 Mbps at 75% on second floor. Network is only as strong as its weakest component; will adding the weaker N66R for access point, will that slow the wifi signal even from the AC68W?
Also, I'd be connecting AP LAN port to a Gigabit switch, to main router LAN port. Any problem with using a switch? The alternative is I could replace the Gigabit switch with the AP router using the AP's LAN ports to ethernet the 3 desktops currently connecting to the Gigabit switch. Is that a better option, in that there's one less switch device in the network? The complete CAT5E network run is 225 feet.
I did try temporarily relocating the main router AC68W to the second floor, from the first; but the 5GHz signal becomes too weak for first floor laptop. So I need to keep main router on first floor.
thanks!

Extending the wireless coverage is best done as you describe: adding wireless Access Points (your RT-N66U in Access Point mode) that have a wired connection to the router (your RT-AC68U in Wireless Router mode).
Set the RT-N66U and RT-AC68U to different 5 GHz channels with each a unique SSID and each will offer their maximum speed to supported clients (the RT-N66U up to 802.11n and the RT-68U up to 802.11ac).
Both the RT-N66U and the RT-AC68U will have 4 LAN ports available for wired clients or your Gigabit switch, for performance reasons I would try to hook up most (or the most demanding) wired clients to the RT-AC68U (direct or through the Gigabit switch).
The maximum length for one Cat cable is about 100 meter / 300 ft.

Please advise how to set AP mode on Asus RT-N66R? After pressing reset button, I'm selecting AP mode instead of Wireless Router. Then the GUI asks ?Get LAN IP automaticall? I'm selecting No; then changing the IP address to one that is outside of the DCHP range of the main router AC68W. Press Save; it's rejected as invalid IP address.

Update: I've successfully saved AP mode. on LAN page of GUI I changed the IP address to 192.168.0.1; which is outside the range of the main router's DHCP server 192.168.1.2 - 192.169.1.254; but the Gateway shows as 0.0.0.0 and saving is rejected, "invalid address 0.0.0.0". Does the main wireless router RT-AC68W need to assign the static IP to the AP using the AP's MAC address?

Update: I've successfully saved AP mode. on LAN page of GUI I changed the IP address to 192.168.0.1; which is outside the range of the main router's DHCP server 192.168.1.2 - 192.169.1.254; but the Gateway shows as 0.0.0.0 and saving is rejected, "invalid address 0.0.0.0". Does the main wireless router RT-AC68W need to assign the static IP to the AP using the AP's MAC address?

If your primary router's LAN DHCP range is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 your AP's LAN IP must be in that range.

Normally people limit their DHCP range to no more than 20 - 50 addresses particularly since a WiFi radio can't efficiently serve more than 20 clients.

Set your DHCP range on your primary router to 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.150 then you can use the remaining addresses outside that DHCP range for static assignments. I would suggest that you set you LAN's AP as 192.168.1.2 so it is easy to find and you can administer it.

Thanks! success

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online