What's new

AC86U keeps losing USB drives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alpine_Messi

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've had 2 different usb drives just stop being recognised by my Rt-ac86u and can't work out why.

I've tried both an SSD inside a usb caddy, and a usb stick.

They were formatted by the router and they just disappear from the router homepage.

Any ideas?

Could be many things including the brand/quality of the key/SSD, the chipset used on the caddy, and the firmware you're using on that now very old router. Not to mention the scripts, features, and other specific details that all comprise your network. Including what format you selected to use 'by the router' too.

Could be many things including the brand/quality of the key/SSD, the chipset used on the caddy, and the firmware you're using on that now very old router. Not to mention the scripts, features, and other specific details that all comprise your network. Including what format you selected to use 'by the router' too.
I had skynet and diversion on it, it's an Intel SSD with a very cheap caddy.

I formatted it NTFS.

The key is a Kingston datatraveller

I don't know that it would be too much power. Below is the power by Integral 128Gb SSD draws.
Screenshot_2024-05-07-01-44-44-670_com.ruideng.png

I doubt that even a modern powerful SSD would be drawing the almost 10x current that would be too much for most routers!

SSDs easily draw 10x that current (particularly with writes).

NTFS is the wrong format for scripts.

You gave no (detailed) information, except for the USB key. Yes, Kingston are throwaway, IME.

You gave no (detailed) information, except for the USB key. Yes, Kingston are throwaway, IME.
So you're suggesting that I buy a powered usb caddy for my 2.5" sata SSD as it likely didn't have enough power for the 15 months it's been working ok?

Or would you think a SanDisk extreme usb 3.0 may suffice like this? https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail...cpR6vaQMYx2IYoZ364ATjAi5nzp078WUaAkY5EALw_wcB

All that's REALLY urgent for me is getting a VPN server back up and running, I could do with it being up again in a few days.

I'll check to see if it's possible natively in merlin as I can't remember how I configured it

The router supplies the power for the usb drive, but what supplies the power for the router?
I'd be eyeing that wall wart (psu) with suspicion.

The router supplies the power for the usb drive, but what supplies the power for the router?
I'd be eyeing that wall wart (psu) with suspicion.
I'll inspect it , thanks. Is there any way of proving a "power struggle" for the storage devices?

The router's VPN server doesn't use a USB drive.
But if the psu is near it's end any kind of fault could show - doesn't have to be hardware.

So you're suggesting that I buy a powered usb caddy for my 2.5" sata SSD as it likely didn't have enough power for the 15 months it's been working ok?

Or would you think a SanDisk extreme usb 3.0 may suffice like this? https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail...cpR6vaQMYx2IYoZ364ATjAi5nzp078WUaAkY5EALw_wcB

No, I didn't suggest that at all. I just stated facts about SSD power usage. And pointed out the incorrect file format when using amtm/scripts.

I would not trust any SanDisk drives either today. Known issues.

It doesn't matter how long something has worked, 'before', that is not an indication or proof of whether it should be working today. Nothing remains constant with these devices, change is the only guarantee.

I suggest following best practices today and using a quality m.2 SSD (I recommend bigger than 128GB as the bigger the capacity, the higher the quality of both the nand, and the controller, likely is) in a UGreen external enclosure. Then, format it as Ext4 with journaling, then add a swap file, then install scripts as needed via amtm.

(Here's a more detailed look at the above steps, just ignore the part about 'installing' amtm today):
amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!