What's new

ac86u seems to be stuck in boot loop after firmware update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why can’t you get an RMA?
Router was purchased in the US but I'm currently using it overseas. Theoretically I can send it to someone in the US and have it sent to Asus then they'll ship it to someone in the states who will ship it to me. It'll just take forever and if there is a way to unbrick it, I would much rather do that. I don't have a backup router at the moment.

Since I am able to reach some sort of upload screen (see above) and am just not sure how to use it, I haven't lost all hope just yet.

The new restoration tool is different. The old one tool won’t work with the rt-ac86u firmware just in case someone is in the same situation.
The tool didn’t work for me. I had to get an rma.

I also am curious on the “partition” option on the rt-ac86u mini cfe server.

On the Recovery web page do not select any partition. As it's written next to it, you should only change that setting if you have some special needs (most likely only for development purpose - I never really looked at the misc partition content).

On the Recovery web page do not select any partition. As it's written next to it, you should only change that setting if you have some special needs (most likely only for development purpose - I never really looked at the misc partition content).
Thanks, that's what I figured.
Any ideas on what to do since uploading a firmware from the recovery page didn't seem to solve it..

You might have to hold the reset button for longer to get the CFE miniWeb Server to come up.
This is taken from bayareatechpros.com website and it's has helped me before to follow it precisely when I had a failed firmware update:
  1. Set static IP for PC.
    start > run > ncpa.cpl > double click Ethernet > properties > IPV4 >
    IP: 192.168.29.5
    Subnet: Default (255.255.255.0)
    Gateway: 192.168.29.1
  2. Place router into Recovery/Restore mode
    Hold reset button 10 seconds
    Power off router (keep holding reset)
    Wait 10 seconds, keep holding reset
    Power on router holding reset for 10 more seconds
  3. Go to 192.168.29.1 in a web browser
    If Mini-CFE webpage won’t load use Asus Restore Utility
    If having trouble with this step perform NVRam Reset and try #2 and/or #3 again

Last edited:
So this morning after spending a few hours unplugged the router suddenly booted fine. It behaved oddly though, not seeing all attached devices, and of course without any settings. I made the mistake of trying to boot it again, and now it's stuck in the loop again exactly as before.

Does this help shed some light? What should I do differently if it happens to boot again?

Last edited:
Do a factory default reset by holding the WPS button while turning it on. If it still fails, then RMA it.

Do a factory default reset by holding the WPS button while turning it on. If it still fails, then RMA it.
Well, it booted fine again now, after leaving it unplugged for a few hours, so I'm not touching anything :p but that's what I'll do if/when it happens again. Guess I'll skip 384.7.2.

Thanks for the help

c
Well, it booted fine again now, after leaving it unplugged for a few hours, so I'm not touching anything :p but that's what I'll do if/when it happens again. Guess I'll skip 384.7.2.

Thanks for the help
So, even though you loaded 384.7_2, it still booted up to the previous 384.7?

No, last time I got the upload screen mentioned here I loaded 384.7, as it was the last fw my router ran reliably.
Got it...thanks.

Reason I'm asking, is that I seem to remember seeing some hints in the code that they were laying the foundation for having multiple firmware levels installed/available.

Re what john said, I'd read in another discussion/site about the second firmware not wanting to remain dormant on the 86. Most of the newer production runs of this take at least two cold/powered down/wait cycles for Merlin to stay on top. There seems to have been quite a few of these returned to Amazon and resold as 'used/new-original/damaged or opened box' 86U routers on the Amazon Warehouse.

The first new 86U we received from Amazon wanted nothing to do with loading Merlin. After many hours, trying every conceivable process, with one call Amazon shipped the replacement and picked up the RMA'd unit. If Amazon were the OP's vendor, overseas Prime/business members have options, if a bit more hassle. Both routers were very stubborn about accepting ID/PW change on the first login, which never occurred in our other models.

The replacement 86U upgraded to Merlin though it was a bit more involved than the quick and easy routine upgrades we've experienced over the years. Decided first to remove the antennas before upgrading; the router has been rumored to pickup WiFi from an insecure nearby source, and found evidence that had happened with the RMA'd unit. For the upgrade, used a laptop with no WiFi or web access (nothing to the modem for the router or the laptop), and with the laptop plugged into port 1 (4 also works fine), as expected the factory Asus FW came up and threw a brief tantrum. As soon as that passed, loaded Merlin and changed the ID/password. Logged off and removed power to the router and let it sit for 10 minutes. The next cold boot took about five or 6 minutes for Merlin to be accepted/written before the GUI came up normally. Logged in without problem, changed the IP and a few preferred settings, then again logged out, and removed power for another 10 minutes. The third power on/boot was the charm; the GUI came up responsive as expected. Finished setup, logged off and powered down to install the WiFi antennas and plug a new Ethernet cable into the router and modem. Since then the router has run without a hiccup. This may seem unusual but took only 45 minutes for everything; it surely beat the the wasted days of effort/frustration of the RMA'd unit represented. Hope the info is useful and that the dormant FW code stays down and plays dead. Cheers and good luck to all.

We had a Linksys that was almost impossible to update, due to official buried hidden instructions that eventually interfered with any non-factory FW. Finally put advanced Tomato on it, but it was a project, not for regular service.

Re what john said, I'd read in another discussion/site about the second firmware not wanting to remain dormant on the 86. Most of the newer production runs of this take at least two cold/powered down/wait cycles for Merlin to stay on top. There seems to have been quite a few of these returned to Amazon and resold as 'used/new-original/damaged or opened box' 86U routers on the Amazon Warehouse.

The first new 86U we received from Amazon wanted nothing to do with loading Merlin. After many hours, trying every conceivable process, with one call Amazon shipped the replacement and picked up the RMA'd unit. If Amazon were the OP's vendor, overseas Prime/business members have options, if a bit more hassle. Both routers were very stubborn about accepting ID/PW change on the first login, which never occurred in our other models.

The replacement 86U upgraded to Merlin though it was a bit more involved than the quick and easy routine upgrades we've experienced over the years. Decided first to remove the antennas before upgrading; the router has been rumored to pickup WiFi from an insecure nearby source, and found evidence that had happened with the RMA'd unit. For the upgrade, used a laptop with no WiFi or web access (nothing to the modem for the router or the laptop), and with the laptop plugged into port 1 (4 also works fine), as expected the factory Asus FW came up and threw a brief tantrum. As soon as that passed, loaded Merlin and changed the ID/password. Logged off and removed power to the router and let it sit for 10 minutes. The next cold boot took about five or 6 minutes for Merlin to be accepted/written before the GUI came up normally. Logged in without problem, changed the IP and a few preferred settings, then again logged out, and removed power for another 10 minutes. The third power on/boot was the charm; the GUI came up responsive as expected. Finished setup, logged off and powered down to install the WiFi antennas and plug a new Ethernet cable into the router and modem. Since then the router has run without a hiccup. This may seem unusual but took only 45 minutes for everything; it surely beat the the wasted days of effort/frustration of the RMA'd unit represented. Hope the info is useful and that the dormant FW code stays down and plays dead. Cheers and good luck to all.

We had a Linksys that was almost impossible to update, due to official buried hidden instructions that eventually interfered with any non-factory FW. Finally put advanced Tomato on it, but it was a project, not for regular service.

Wow. Before buying the 86u i've had the 68u for a few years and never experienced anything like this. It would just work. Now I'm terrified of upgrading the FW or even just rebooting the router. Kinda ridiculous. Thanks for the info regardless. I guess next time something like this happens I'll just try to be super patient and let it sit unplugged for a looong time between attempts.

I must be one of the lucky ones as my RT-AC86U bought from amazon uk in March 2018, first one power button was faulty but second one has been fine, flashed multiple merlin firmware on it, currently using 384.8_Alpha again no issues.

The replacement 86U upgraded to Merlin though it was a bit more involved than the quick and easy routine upgrades we've experienced over the years. Decided first to remove the antennas before upgrading; the router has been rumored to pickup WiFi from an insecure nearby source, and found evidence that had happened with the RMA'd unit. For the upgrade, used a laptop with no WiFi or web access (nothing to the modem for the router or the laptop), and with the laptop plugged into port 1 (4 also works fine),

Why? Of course the router 'picks up' WiFi. Doesn't mean it listens to commands.
It's as if you think someone/thing is going to hijack the configuration if you aren't in a Faraday cage.

Re ghammer comment; Why?
Why, what?
The commenter may be attempting to read something into the prior post that isn't there. It's never easy to completely and clearly describe a concept to others elsewhere, who not only weren't there when the procedure was performed, and likely has no stake in the process. It appears the commenter wants to inject their own view or inigiate an argument, for argument's sake. Everyone sees the universe from their own point of view so it can be difficult to communicate the 'what/why' even when communicating honestly.

Long ago, there was philosophy of 'you're ok, I'm ok' that caught on with many groups at universities and in business it made face to face conversations much more pleasant and work more productive; it could make a difference online.It appears the commenter took one section of the OP out of context, and that he/she has no wish to understand the 'what' nor the 'why,' of the OP, with no enlightenment actually sought.

The OP was the description of an experimental method developed to facilitate a successful upgrade of Merlin FW to one Asus model router after multiple, documented flashing procedures failed. Other members have reported similar unsuccessful upgrade attempts, and many routers were RMA'd as BOB over many months. Avoiding unwanted RF interference prior to flashing was a small portion of the OP, whatever commenter's purpose was.

Each is free to derive benefit from or to ignore other member's posts if the information or subject doesn't apply to them or their equipment. When requesting additional information it's helpful to avoid injecting hostility and arguments, ie; "as-if you think someone/thing is going to hijack'....'if you aren't in a Faraday cage," are more like psychoanalytical babble than an inquiry. Such comments never produce constructive discourse in a forum and there are better ways to ask intelligent questions. Taking a trollistic, flame-like approach doesn't work with spouses either. Cheers, End of Line.