What's new

AC87 Media Bridged to AC66 then cabled to AirPort Extreme?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cwickstylz

New Around Here
So we've got a decently large home, we're renting, so cabling with CAT6 isn't exactly worthwhile, sooooo I've come up with this...

I've got an Asus AC87 Media Bridged to an AC66 downstairs & then have an Apple AirPort Extreme connected via an Ethernet cable to the AC66, but setup in bridge mode, so no DHCP or anything. I actually have DHCP being handled by a SonicWall TZ215 upstairs next to the AC87, so none of the devices are running DHCP, only the SonicWall.

For whatever reason the majority of my devices cannot connect to the AirPort Extreme. I feel like the logic behind this setup is sound(as crazy as it is), so should be working, but no dice. I can't seem to think of any reason that this shouldn't work, unless when an Asus is in Media Bridge mode I truly can only connect devices up to each of the ports on the back of the AC66 on a 1 to 1 ratio. Not another wireless AP hanging off of it, with numerous devices connecting through it?

Any feedback would be great. Maybe I should just ditch the AirPort Extreme(got it for free from Apple when my wife's Apple Watch charger literally melted down within 3 days, but that's a whole 'nother story) & just use repeater mode between the two Asus devices, but what sucks with that is that I knowingly destroy 50% of the throughput, at minimum, using that method.