What's new

AC87U 5GHz not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Certain users have proposed the idea of overheating causing the 5ghz radio to stop working. some suggestions for you is to try to ventilate the router with fan or to elevate the height of the router ensuring adequate ventilation at the base.

since you are on 2769, i strongly recommend you to try 3754. it is available as the latest firmware for ac87u/r. this current firmware features a brand new driver for the 5ghz chipset.

Certain users have proposed the idea of overheating causing the 5ghz radio to stop working. some suggestions for you is to try to ventilate the router with fan or to elevate the height of the router ensuring adequate ventilation at the base.

since you are on 2769, i strongly recommend you to try 3754. it is available as the latest firmware for ac87u/r. this current firmware features a brand new driver for the 5ghz chipset.

As far as I understood OP, he mentions the 5GHz becoming unavailable when changing settings that require the radios to turn off...this would rule out overheating.

You should try Merlin. There is no reason not to. The firmware looks 100% stock but add a bunch of fixes and tweaks. You should check out a bit of history about the Merlin dev, hes so good sometimes asus take fixes from his firmware and apply them to theirs. Plus he fixes bugs a lot faster then asus does

Make sure the WPA2 key does not contain any non-alphanumerical characters. Same for the SSID.

Hi,
please:
1) update the router to latest stable firmware
2) reconfigure
3) report if bug is still present

Regards

The password contains "special characters" like "! & /" that's affecting? Also how would that affect the 5 GHz but not the 2.4?

The 5 GHz radio is handled by a separate firmware that runs on a separate CPU, which gets its parameters manually, rather than directly through nvram. Different communication mechanism.

I'm getting 5GHz disabled sometimes.

1. At tools->sysinfo:
2.4 GHz: 43°C - 5 GHz: disabled - CPU: 78°C

and empty space in "Quantenna Firmware" field.

2. At wireless log:
Wireless 5 GHz is disabled.

On rebooting it sometimes get work again, but sometimes remains in "disabled" state. I tried factory reset and reconfiguring without success.

Firmware version Merlin 380.57_0,
Thu Dec 24 18:54:51 UTC 2015 merlin@795ca35

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!