What's new

Access Point and Bridge Mode at the same time?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gmdoubleg

New Around Here
Hello all, I'm new to the site and have been reading a ton but still can't figure out my dilemma. I live in a Grandmother's quarters behind a front house and we share the wireless internet. The wireless router is about 40 feet from my computer. I've come to the conclusion that I will most likely need an access point to boost the signal in my house.

-Would the access point need to be between the router and my PC to have an affect?

-If the router is N300 and I get an access point with a higher speed ability (eg. N600, N900), will that increase the speed of the connection to my computer? I assume it will increase the connection from my HTPC and Main PC. Poor assumption?

Thank you for whatever help you can give and sorry for the noob questions. Networking just doesn't click for me.

PS. I've used the TrendNet N300 USB adapter and get 4Mbps tops. I switched to the TP-Link 300Mbps High Gain Wireless Adapter and it increased to 5Mbps. The ping on both were roughly 18-20 (not sure how this affects connection speeds).

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!