What's new

Access Point for 30 people and VLAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Feldon

New Around Here
I currently have a WNDR3700 set-up as an access point. However, it turns out I've got a group in a couple times a month that sometimes has up to 30 people all trying to access the internet at the same time. Clearly, I need a second access point to share the load.

What would you recommend?

Over time I'd like to move to a set-up that includes VLAN capability, so I'd like the new access point to support VLAN. Obviously, dual-band and 802.11ac support would be awesome.

I'm looking at a price range of <$350 per access point, so an Aironet 3600 is a little out of my price range.

The best option I've seen so far is a Unifi AP-Pro.

Couldn't you just setup a VLAN port on the main switch/router and connect the cat5 cable to any WiFi AP or re-purposed WiFi router-as-AP.

I have a guest network and a staff network, and I'd like both guests and staff to be able to connect to each AP. If only the primary router had VLAN capability, then I think that would mean the entire AP would have to be set-up as either guest or staff, which isn't what I want. At least, I think that's how it works. Hence, why I'm looking for an AP that supports VLAN.

So it's looking like the WAP-121/321 or Unifi AP/AP-Pro are the simplest options.

You are correct. To work the way you describe, the AP needs to support VLANS.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!