What's new

vlan hardware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In your case putting the NAS in a separate VLAN is almost certainly a bad idea.

Traffic on the same VLAN/subnet does not go through the router.
However, unless you are using layer three switch(es) any traffic between VLANs must go through the router.

Have you already purchased the NAS?
Qnap NASs have official support for multiple tagged VLANs. With Synology there is only unofficial support such as:

If the NAS doesn’t support VLANS, it probably makes more sense to put the NAS on the same VLAN as the desktop PC.

If the Android box or TV needs access to the NAS then you would have to create firewall rules to allow access through the router.

Do you have a printer on the network? If users on more than one VLAN need access to the printer you would also need
additional firewall rules. Alternately, you can setup this as a print server with multiple VLAN support:

Using multiple subnets can get complicated.

This whole idea to DIY a business network with POS terminals is wrong. Starting from zero networking and security knowledge the result may end the business. Someone more knowledgeable and creative will find a weakness, steal customers' credit card data, access financial information, etc. Professional help cost saving may inflict significant damages with potential law enforcement involved.

This whole idea to DIY a business network with POS terminals is wrong. Starting from zero networking and security knowledge the result may end the business. Someone more knowledgeable and creative will find a weakness, steal customers' credit card data, access financial information, etc. Professional help cost saving may inflict significant damages with potential law enforcement involved.
what i am trying to do here is learn its a hobby this is my home network i am playing with not my business, i just thought this forum would be a good place to get help to learn, the forum does state its for all levels of user if i am wrong could you perhaps point me to another forum for beginers?

In your case putting the NAS in a separate VLAN is almost certainly a bad idea.

Traffic on the same VLAN/subnet does not go through the router.
However, unless you are using layer three switch(es) any traffic between VLANs must go through the router.

Have you already purchased the NAS?
Qnap NASs have official support for multiple tagged VLANs. With Synology there is only unofficial support such as:

If the NAS doesn’t support VLANS, it probably makes more sense to put the NAS on the same VLAN as the desktop PC.

If the Android box or TV needs access to the NAS then you would have to create firewall rules to allow access through the router.

Do you have a printer on the network? If users on more than one VLAN need access to the printer you would also need
additional firewall rules. Alternately, you can setup this as a print server with multiple VLAN support:

Using multiple subnets can get complicated.
Hi the NAS is extremely old (ReadyNasduo 2008) but still works I use it primarily to store movies and music to stream around my house . I guess i have to just put all the devices in VLan10 & 20 together.
The pc needs access to the NAS to transfer music and videos to it. From a security point of view both the laptop and desktop are linux with firewalls running on both.

what i am trying to do here is learn its a hobby this is my home network i am playing with not my business, i just thought this forum would be a good place to get help to learn, the forum does state its for all levels of user if i am wrong could you perhaps point me to another forum for beginers?
It is for all levels. However, when you throw commercial needs into the mix, they are two different sets of needs for reliability and security. Hence the replies as commercial needs are usually not recommended for beginners to address. Home, yes, sure, no issue. A lot of us have done that. Business, you want to work correctly from day one if at all possible.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!