What's new

Access Point or Router ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkphader

New Around Here
Need wireless coverage for a small business, both bands and N, to replace several Netgear WNDAP350's as they just haven't been entirely reliable (mostly dropped connections), although I do like their feature set for the most part such as logging to a syslog server, they do not support IPv6 and are reasonably expensive.

I do NOT need any routing features and as any (AFAIK) router can also be used simply as an access point, might I be better off with something like several RT N66U's? I would gain IPv6 support (although not needed today, will be in the future), better performance, the aiblity to use DD-WRT (if the performance as good with this?) etc. Or should I switch to something like multiple WAP321's (although the whole Cloud Connect debacle leaves a bad taste in my mouth)?

What else should I be considering?

Thank you.

Chris

Last edited:
Those WAP321 don't seem to be using the Cloud Spying Habit Game. I looking at these myself too. WAP121 would be nice if that had Gig Ports instead of the old tech. But depends what your going to stream over the WiFi band.

Wired Router + switch + AP
Have wired clients have their own drop dedicated connection from the switch.
If you have to use a Router as AP make sure there is nothing else going to use the ports except one for the drop dedicated connection to it from the master switch.

If you have to use a Router as AP make sure there is nothing else going to use the ports except one for the drop dedicated connection to it from the master switch.
Not that I have a need to but surely one could use the other LAN ports if desired - it's just another switch.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!