What's new

Access Point or Wireless Router that supports vlans / 802.1q

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

indigo196

New Around Here
Environment Details:
~2000 sq ft split level home. Currently RT-N66U is providing sufficient coverage to the house, but at the edges is a little weak. Currently do not have Cat 5/6 wiring running from cable modem to other rooms. All networking equipment is in the 'office'. It is possible to run cat 5/6 to other rooms and that is being considered.

Users/Devices:
Wired devices:
1) Three computers
2) Roku 3 (may upgrade to newer Roku)
3) Brother printer
4) Small NAS (looking to upgrade this in the next 12 months)

Wireless devices:
1) 4 cell phones
2) 2 tablets
3) 2 smart TV/Blue Ray players
4) Four computers

As noted above I currently have an Asus RT-N66U, but looking to move to wireless AC. At the same time I am moving to using pfsense as my firewall/router and would like to get either an access point our wireless router that supports vlans / 802.1q.

If I get an AP I am planning on pairing with with a web managed switch

1) TP-Link SG108PE or SG108E - depending on the PoE needs of the AP (neither will do PoE+)
2) Netgear GS108T-200NAS GS108PE-300NAS - again depending on PoE needs of the AP

I am leaning towards the TP-Link due to it offering, from what I read, more features. I have not used either companies products in over ten years so I would be interested in any input on quality, etc.

For the APs I am considering:

1) Ubiquiti - UAP-AC-PRO-US
2) Ubiquiti - UAP-AC-LR
3) Ubiquiti - UAP-LITE
4) TP-Link - EAP225
5) Netgear - WAC510-100NAS

I would also be willing to look at a wireless router as long as I can use it with my pfsense box (ie., turn off DHCP) and it would leverage vlans / 802.1q to segment off any guest wlans. From my reading it does not appear that any manufacturer firmware supports vlans / 802.1q, but Tomato and DD-WRT do on some models.

---
Again any advice on the overall design would be most appreciated. If necessary I would be willing to drop the guest network, but would prefer to be able to set that up.

Are you certain you need VLAN's and 802.1q tagging?

Most folks don't...

Are you certain you need VLAN's and 802.1q tagging?

Most folks don't...

Am I certain; no. I would be willing to listen to other options.

I need to have pfsense provide DHCP and routing, but the guest vlan is a nice to have. I believe I can achieve everything without vlans with the exception of guest networks.

Ubiquiti Access points can create a Visitor network without using VLANs (they have built in filters) if you want. Of course they also support VLANs if you wish.