What's new

Access points - what should I seek?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EngChi

Regular Contributor
The house hunting went from theoretical to close date in 3.5 weeks , the house we are buying has no wiring (so it would be added to each bedroom/office) and I would like to add ceiling mounted access points for wifi coverage

I intend to use Mikrotik RB750Gr3 as router between IPS(s) and LAN and looking for the rest of equipment recommendations.

Thank you

Look at Netgear ORBI can be the one and only you need or EdgeRouter with a UniFi AC Pro AP

Thank you - never heard of ORBI and am reading about it now.
My preference is probably more traditional set up - willing to pay for and set up at least gigabit wires to each access point, only use wireless where no other option is possible (phones, tablets) with the rest wired. don't need crazy 'wireless backbone' things or cute smartphone apps. Just want something that works, gets regular updates for things like security vulnerabilities and is somewhat manageable.

looked at mikrotik - wealth of options I do not yet understand and multiple threads on how their devices and keep alive packages kill batteries on attached mobile devices by not allowing them to go to sleep
looked at UniFi - probably default option, wondering how I will structure this and whether I need any other devices in addition to RB750Gr3

In my 'old' and my smaller house, pfsense handled all of the routing/firewall, TP-link Acher C5 was the access point connected over cat5e to the network and dump switches in between

look at the ubiquiti unifi ac series ap's , they work great and the lite version isnt that expensive

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online