What's new

Access to certain IPs in LAN blocked somehow?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LaMpiR

Regular Contributor
Hi good people :)

As always, I am writing here due to a small issue. We have a tp-link camera and we use it as a baby monitor. So far it has been working just fine. We have the app on the phone and we use a RTSP client to see it on our fire tv and laptop sometimes.

Recently we had some issues with it and since we moved to a new appartment, I didnt have time to investigate much.

It seems, the reason it is not working, is that from my laptop, simple rtsp with vlc is not working as I cannot even ping the camera. From my phone ping works, from my laptop not, from the router yes and it seems from firetv not again. So two device that have been using the protocol are somehow blocked.

Do you have any idea on what I can check?

Thank you in advance.

We have a AX88U with Merlin :)

Unless the target device is on a guest network, then ALL your LAN devices communicate directly over the switch. In fact, you could replace the router w/ a simple switch and everything would communicate exactly the same. The router only adds the capability to *route* traffic to *other* networks, such as the internet, or somebody else's LAN. That requires your LAN traffic to access the WAN, which is where the firewall is working to manage traffic between the LAN and WAN. It has absolutely no bearing on LAN to LAN traffic.

So based solely on your description of the problem, it's not obvious how the router itself could interfere w/ LAN to LAN traffic.

It's also not clear whether some of these devices are wired or wireless. The phone is obviously wireless, but the laptop could be wired or wireless. Same thing w/ the camera. I'm just wondering if that makes a difference here.

Unless the target device is on a guest network, then ALL your LAN devices communicate directly over the switch. In fact, you could replace the router w/ a simple switch and everything would communicate exactly the same. The router only adds the capability to *route* traffic to *other* networks, such as the internet, or somebody else's LAN. That requires your LAN traffic to access the WAN, which is where the firewall is working to manage traffic between the LAN and WAN. It has absolutely no bearing on LAN to LAN traffic.

So based solely on your description of the problem, it's not obvious how the router itself could interfere w/ LAN to LAN traffic.

It's also not clear whether some of these devices are wired or wireless. The phone is obviously wireless, but the laptop could be wired or wireless. Same thing w/ the camera. I'm just wondering if that makes a difference here.
That was my logic behind it as well, but yesterday I had a Teamviewer call with TP-Link in order to determine why the Camera is not working and Camera was working, I was simply not able to access it.

Somehow, my laptop was creating some problem on the network and that made it so that my laptop, when pinging the camera, didn't send the ping over the wifi.

We deactivated all the networks, (some vpn there), firewall, deactivated even skynet but nothing. I will have to investigate further.

Laptop wireless 5 Ghz
Camera wireless 2,4 Ghz
Firetv wirelss 5Ghz

First I though, AP Isolation, but it worked before and I haven't changed anything, but it was off.

Anyway, will bring my second laptop to home and check it out with it. I have no other solution at this point.

Thank you for the quick reply :)

@LaMpiR A shot in the dark. Ihave to ask, are you running IPv6 at all? I know IoT stuff is generally IPv4 only but this is TP-Link we're talking about.