What's new

Accessing WAN IP from within WIFI is not possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dfran1

I have been told from linksys support that.......
If I am at home on my home wifi
If I try to access my NVR using my WAN IP (external IP)
It is a security risk that Linksys blocks.

Is this a fact ?
Is this a fact for all router manufactures?

I have been able to do this with some firmware on and off on many of my routers and thought I should be able to.

I am just looking for confirmation on this and input form others.

(sorry if this have been discussed before)
Also where is the search button on this forum now? All I see is the main search on top, no more search when inside a thread??

Thanks to all!!

Thank You for the info!

The funny thing is it worked great at one firmware 6 months ago, I should have left it alone, now it does not and they tell me its not supposed to, I can not go Back to that firmware either now.

There's a switch in the Linksys UI to allow - by default it doesn't...

I forget exactly where it is, think it's under Admin/Security - it's the same page where you can filter multicast, VPN, etc...

There's a switch in the Linksys UI to allow - by default it doesn't...

I forget exactly where it is, think it's under Admin/Security - it's the same page where you can filter multicast, VPN, etc...
Thank You,
I just tried flipping every switch, and same.
If you find the one please let me know. I don't think I missed any.
Thanks

I have been told from linksys support that.......
If I am at home on my home wifi
If I try to access my NVR using my WAN IP (external IP)
It is a security risk that Linksys blocks.

Is this a fact ?
Is this a fact for all router manufactures?

I have been able to do this with some firmware on and off on many of my routers and thought I should be able to.

I am just looking for confirmation on this and input form others.

(sorry if this have been discussed before)
Also where is the search button on this forum now? All I see is the main search on top, no more search when inside a thread??

Thanks to all!!
Older routers I've owned didn't implement what I call the "trombone" addressing, where you use the symbolic WAN address from a client on your LAN. Last two routers I've owned do trombone. Not immediately obvious to me why this would be considered a security risk. Without the trombone, the client has to use two different addresses to access the NVR/NAS/server depending on home/away, and that's a big PITA.

Older routers I've owned didn't implement what I call the "trombone" addressing, where you use the symbolic WAN address from a client on your LAN. Last two routers I've owned do trombone. Not immediately obvious to me why this would be considered a security risk. Without the trombone, the client has to use two different addresses to access the NVR/NAS/server depending on home/away, and that's a big PITA.
Thank You
Tell me about it, it is a PITA, I agree.
It worked on the august release of last year, I am trying to get linksys to tell me how to put that firmware back on, right now they firmware locked it or something, I can not go back firmware.
Trying to find a recovery mode to hopefully force it back.

Which linksys router and version?

(BTW, some folks call it trombone, others refer to it as hairpin, but the switch you're looking for in the WebUI is NAT Redirection, and toggle that one)

Which linksys router and version?

(BTW, some folks call it trombone, others refer to it as hairpin, but the switch you're looking for in the WebUI is NAT Redirection, and toggle that one)
It's an EA8500 version 1 (I have on order an Asus AC5300 for me), but I have the same EA8500 v1 at work with the same problem though.

It is unchecked now as seen in the screenshot and when I go to view the NVR the video loading wheel turns BUT when I check it the NVR video loading wheel does not show.
It worked fine with the 8-12-2015 firmware that I am unable to load due to Linksys blocking older firmware now, unless maybe a recovery mode but ??

Picturehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/jq0dy0u52hy8ood/screenshot_322.png?dl=0

Thank You for your time !!!!

Just to keep this updated,
Linksys contacted me several times about this issue.
One said this is normal, but last night (the last one) said they are working for a fix for the next update (sort of), BUT offered to swap both units out, as the ones they ship will have older firmware on them.
I told him I would live with it and hopefully a future update will fix it, he told me if I change my mind the swap offer would be still available to me.
I just hope the AC5300 Asus is everything I need and better, #1 being same or less lag on PS4 games than the EA8500.

I received my AC5300 today, so far so good BUT I have this same problem with the AC5300?
I am using merlins latest alpha 2 , anyone know what setting I need to change?

I received my AC5300 today, so far so good BUT I have this same problem with the AC5300?
I am using merlins latest alpha 2 , anyone know what setting I need to change?

Wonder if it's your ISP that is blocking those ports... also, your NVR, you didn't mention if this is Carrier provided, or Third Party...

Might have to set up a VPN dial-in endpoint to check your videos...

I do not think anything changed on my iSP side, it did work when I was on older linksys firmware, Someone somewhere mentioned all router manufactures are blocking this for security reasons, it must be that or something in the firmware? Now I wished I tried it with just the asus firmware first before merlin's, just to see.
Maybe next update or if I find something else.
I do want to thank you sfx2000.
Thank You!!

3rd party NVR, I set these up for work all the time on older routers and usually it works, must be the new blocking or ??

I understood that he's using a client on his LAN to access a server on his LAN. There's likely a port forwarding rule on the router so that the server can be accessed from the WAN/internet using the public IP of the router (DDNS, etc).
But using the public address from the LAN side of the router requirest that the router's NAT firmware simply notice that the destination IP is the same IP as the WAN side of the router. Then the packets don't NAT to the WAN side of the router. They "trombone" back to the LAN, using the port forwarding port numbers but the LAN IP of the server.

This problem for many consumer routers goes back 10 years I can recall. Some vendors got it right, then undid it in new products.

A hacky workaround is to put the symbolic public WAN address in each PC's localhost file. But that doesn't work for smartphones and tablets.

I found the setting for my AC5300 :)

It's in............
-Firewall
-General
- "NAT Loopback" was on Merlin I switched it to "Asus"
now I can see my cameras on my WAN IP when I am on WiFi:)

!!!Thanks to all!!!

using Merlin's 380.59.alpha2