What's new

Add USB Drive to RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Avian

New Around Here
I bought an RT-AC87R the other day and haven't been able to get it to recognize any external storage I've added to it. I've tried hard drives in two different external disk enclosures, a Maxtor One-Touch backup drive, and a 4GB USB thumb drive.

I've plugged all drives in to both the USB2 and USB3 ports on the router. The drives spin when I plug in the power, but power off when I plug the USB cable into the router.

In all cases the drives I've used have been recognized on my Win 7 laptop. The two drives in external cases are formatted as NTFS and were 115GB and 250GB in size.

Is there some magic to making these things work? Asus Tech Support said that a hard drive in an external enclosure won't work and nobody's been able to make one work, which I find hard to believe. I was especially surprised when the USB thumb drive wasn't recognized.

Does the router need to be rebooted when storage is attached before it will be recognized? Is there some brand or type of storage that is known to work? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!