What's new

Flash Drive was getting pretty hot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How much money are going to waste?

View attachment 59628

I will concede that’s a reasonable price depending on where you live for a non performance drive. In Canada that’s about $20.89 after tax assuming you’re not paying shipping with prime. Then if you don’t have a ssd enclosure add another $15.81 after tax assuming you have prime for shipping. I would recommend a ssd enclosure that doesn’t pull power from your routers usb power to reduce heat which might cost a little more. (SSD enclosure was a cheap one)

So that hits around $36 cad which still quite reasonable, but would you spend $36 when you have a bag of usb sticks a decent about of ram on the router and no swapping occurring on the sticks. Sure it will probably preform a bit better, but negligible at best. I’ve been running the same usb stick for 3 years with no issues with bad blocks. At best I’ve had issues when not unmounting the usb stick before updating the firmware which could cause issues with ext4 journaling, corrupting. But a stupidly easy fix if you are running really basic packages.

In Canada

Amazon Canada, in CAD:

1718922515576.png

I would recommend a ssd enclosure that doesn’t pull power from your routers usb power

Not needed, works fine, tested. No performance drive needed either. Swap is useless, scripts don't need speed.

but would you spend $36 when you have a bag of usb sticks

Yes, because the system becomes as reliable as the USB stick. I don't know why we need to discuss further.

Amazon Canada, in CAD:

View attachment 59629

Not needed, works fine, tested. No performance drive needed either. Swap is useless, scripts don't need speed.

Yes, because the system becomes as reliable as the USB stick. I don't know why we need to discuss further.

I’m wondering the same thing why this is being discussed further. I gave my opinion.

...but would you spend $36 when you have a bag of usb sticks...
Is it me, or are others also reading "bag full of d*cks". Sorry for being so far off topic on this one. Just an interesting observation. 😋

Is it me, or are others also reading "bag full of d*cks". Sorry for being so far off topic on this one. Just an interesting observation. 😋

Well I mean there probably are silicon covers you can buy that fit over the usb sticks. 😅

Well I mean there probably are silicon covers you can buy that fit over the usb sticks. 😅
That's what I must be thinking of. Thanks for setting me straight @DJones lol

Not sure I can share your new MON project spicy file names... but it holds well lot's of r/w operations, no issues. 🙃
XXXMON is not for public consumption!! Get out of my private GitHub source code! Hahaha

Last edited:
Just tell me the modules you developed yourself. I want to know. 🤭
Well, some friendly nation states that wanted to help gave me some really cool closed source libraries that really seem to complete the whole thing! I'll let you be surprised!

Okay, in this case they also use GT-AX6000 with Google Nest Pro. Were visible in parts of the code. 🥳
Thanks for the validation! I feel much better about it now. Hope the SNB community is ready!!

Hahaha... See? I knew this whole "Flash Drive was getting pretty hot" topic was going to take a serious nosedive. No pun intended, @Tech9 😂

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online