What's new

Adding XT8 to the mesh with ethernet connection - blinking blue led

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

in both case you should active node0 as router so you have asus feature (security etc).
then, plug in "node0 wan port" the wire from modem.
if you have bridge mode on modem activate it, else configure a double NAT (search how to, it s not that hard, 192.168.0.xxx for modem and 192.168.1.xxx for node0 and all other)
Then from your node0 ethernet ports go to your nodesX wan in direct if you can, else go to a switch, then to all the nodes Wan port.

Why do you have a switch, the xt8 have a build in 3 port switch, you can deserve all your nodes form node0 ?

Here is what i have done in my father's house :
1726258126935.png

Thanks Gustour, I have also been asking follow-up questions on the support forum of my provider. My TV box (a simple android-like box), provided by the same ISP, needs to be connected directly to the Fiber modem or it will not work.

In answer to your question about the switch: I have more ethernet connections in my network closet (where the Fiber Modem / router/gateway and the Node0 are) than there are ports on the XT8.

The NAT: The fiber box has its own IP range (192.168.128.xxx), which does not clash with the XT8 (192.168.50.xxx), so that will not be a problem. So if I understand correctly, the config of the network needs to stay the same (Modem->switch->node0) so the TV box can connect to the switch, BUT I can experiment with setting thr fiber modem to Bridge mode and the node0 back to router and see if everything still works...

If you need the tv box to be plug in the modem, then no, no bridge mode.
So Modem -> switch -> node0 -> switch -> nodesX
You want your node0 to be the brain of your network
Your modem 192.168.128.xxx network should have only himself, the tv box and the node0 in view (turn off modem wifi)
Your node0 192.168.50.xxx network should see everything else. (computer, smartphone, objects, ...)

This could help in double NAT (change the IP with yours)
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/double-nat-setup-advice.83986/

As soon as I switch Node0 to router mode, the whole system gets flaky and I lose the other nodes. I guess I'll just have to live with the Asus node0 in AP mode. When I have time, I can change the fiber modem/router to bridge mode and see if my TV still works when connected directly to it. If so, then I can try once more to switch Asus node0 back to router mode and rebuild the network one last time.

for sure it goes flaky, you have to reset them all, add first and well the node0 with double NAT, then add the nodesX to aimesh asus system with a switch AFTER the node0

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!