What's new

Advice for planning network config at new townhouse

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I still personally crimp at the switch instead of using a patch panel, but that is because I was on a tight budget when I started my wiring. At some point I do plan to get a nice cat6 24 port patch panel and redo everything at the rack from crimped ends to patch.

At each wall outlet its punched down to a keystone jack.

I still personally crimp at the switch instead of using a patch panel, but that is because I was on a tight budget when I started my wiring. At some point I do plan to get a nice cat6 24 port patch panel and redo everything at the rack from crimped ends to patch.

At each wall outlet its punched down to a keystone jack.

When you do it take the patch panel and mount it backwards on the rack, punchdowns facing out, makes it much easier to work with, keep an eye on how you run the cables though, then you just flip it over when done. I also work from both ends to the center, easier when you do it again in 6 months to add new lines, you don't have to go under the old lines when adding new ones.

Actually even though I said redo at the rack, I am actually likely to locate the patch panel off the rack up along one of the ceiling joists in the storage room where the rack is located. One of the ~20 cables I've laid is JUST long enough to reach the switch currently. All of the other cables I left about 3ft of extra slack, but of course I cut the one cable barely long enough (just long enough that it isn't taut, but there is no real extra slack to move it).

So it'll probably be located 2ft higher and 2ft to the side from the current top of the rack location where my core switch is located now. Probably put a couple of 1x2's hanging down from the joist a foot and screw the patch panel to them.

Thank you for the suggestions! I only have maybe 2 more runs to do in my house as is, but I am putting an addition on in 2-3 years that is likely to necessitate from 2-4 more runs (1 of them is likely to be fiber, because).

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!